fingers in makewalk

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

fingers in makewalk

Postby Petronius » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:09 am

Dear Makehuman team,
are there any plans to integrate fingers in the makewalk rig/retargeting to obtain natural animations ?

Greetings
Peter
Petronius

Re: fingers in makewalk

Postby duststorm » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:20 am

The problem is I have not seen (freely available) mocap data that actually contains finger animations.
A retargeter like MakeWalk cannot guess what is not there: if there is no finger animation in the source data, it cannot transfer it to the MakeHuman rig.
Do you have examples of mocap files with finger animation?

At some point after the 1.1 release I'll start investigating pipelines from mocap tools such as ipisoft, or Brekel. With a kinect 2 type RGBD camera I believe finger movements are indeed possible.

Another option is using Leap Motion devices for recording hand movements. See the post on MH + sign language for how they were combined with an old MakeHuman mesh.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Petronius » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:33 am

Hi duststorm,
I use ipisoft Studio for mocap.
As you mentioned it has no realtime mocap of fingers.
But it has a nice feature where you can quickly build up a library of finger movements/transistions and reuse it in all mocaps.
Would be nice if those were retargeted in MakeWalk.

At the moment I try to do this directly in blender with additional actions on the retargeted object, but I find this quite tedious.

Greetings
Peter
Petronius

Postby duststorm » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:06 pm

I'll have a look at it in the near future when I direct my attention towards the animation pipeline.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby aialexander » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Hello!

I use Mixamo for downloading a lot of the animations I use with MakeHuman since there is an option to download files in BVH format. All of which have finger animation data. If there is a way to incorporate that, that would be amazing!
aialexander

Return to User contributions