WIP: New (unofficial) Male Proxy w/ Genitals

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

WIP: New (unofficial) Male Proxy w/ Genitals

Postby FigureSculptor » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:22 pm

For a medical illustration project I'm working on, I need more realistic and detailed male genitals than the current MakeHuman nightly build provides (specifically, I need an uncircumcised model). I know that Manuel and crew are working on improvements to both of the anatomically-correct proxies, but I don't have the luxury to wait for them, so I've begun working on my own custom version of the adult_male_genitalia proxy mesh. Mine is identical to the one that ships with the current nightly builds, only with a little additional geometry to allow more detailed modeling.

My additions to the model are released CC-0, and I will post future versions as I implement more features in the mesh. There are still several options I need to model, and then I hope to sculpt details in to create a normal map.

Can anybody point me to a tutorial or documentation on creating a new MakeHuman proxy mesh so I can get this into the app? I'm sure I saw one at some point, but I've been completely unable to find it.

Here's my WIP Blender file for anyone who may be interested. Do not download unless you're comfortable with male nudity.

https://mega.co.nz/#!EERBnKDa!nua_b-uDa ... 25IcoyDX3Y

And a SFW screenshot (click for full-size):

Thanks.
Fig
FigureSculptor

Re: WIP: New (unofficial) Male Proxy w/ Genitals

Postby Manuel » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:45 pm

FigureSculptor wrote:but I don't have the luxury to wait for them

They are finished and uploaded in nightly many weeks ago.
To make a proxy with it, you should create a normal mhclo (and then rename it as .proxy and put it proxies folder: http://www.makehuman.org/doc/node/mhble ... othes.html

PS: I don't see any noticeable difference in comparison with the official version:

penis1.png
Manuel

Postby FigureSculptor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Manuel wrote:
FigureSculptor wrote:but I don't have the luxury to wait for them

They are finished and uploaded in nightly many weeks ago.

Really? I saw the male and female proxy meshes, but didn't notice any targets for them. I'll have to look closer.

Manuel wrote:To make a proxy with it, you should create a normal mhclo (and then rename it as .proxy and put it proxies folder.

PS: I don't see any noticeable difference in comparison with the official version:

Thanks for the info on making the proxy. You're right that the base model looks just like the one in the current nightly. I used that as my starting shape and kept the shape identical to the male proxy in nightly on purpose. I added several loop cuts to provide geometry for the foreskin and some additional geometry for the urethra which are used in my shapekeys (which will become targets for the proxy). If you look at the shapekeys, you'll see a couple dozen new shapes that I plan to turn into targets for this proxy once I figure out how:

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 9.47.24 AM.png
FigureSculptor

Postby Manuel » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:12 pm

FigureSculptor wrote:
Really? I saw the male and female proxy meshes, but didn't notice any targets for them. I'll have to look closer.

We have still to activate the genital targets (it's a little bug in proxy tagging, I'm fixing it right now), but they are visible in the tab combination shown below.
penis2.png

Anyway rememebr that targets can't affect directly the proxies.
Targets always modify the base mesh (including the helpers) and then the proxies are fitted to it.
So even if you make a super detailed proxy, you can't control the morphing of their vertices in MH, but only in Blender, after you export it.

PS: Make a full body proxy is not so straightforward. Remember to create two separate groups for upperlip and lowerlip, to avoid a problem in fitting the mouth during animations. Also the fitting of penis can create some wrinkles is the reference groups are not perfect.
Manuel

Postby FigureSculptor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Manuel wrote:We have still to activate the genital targets (it's a little bug in proxy tagging, I'm fixing it right now), but they are visible in the tab combination shown below.

Ahh… I'll look forward to it.

Manuel wrote:Anyway rememebr that targets can't affect directly the proxies.
Targets always modify the base mesh (including the helpers) and then the proxies are fitted to it.
So even if you make a super detailed proxy, you can't control the morphing of their vertices in MH, but only in Blender, after you export it.

Ah, that's too bad. Looks like my work was for naught. Given all the cool proxy meshes you've come up with over the last few months, do you have any plans for supporting proxy-specific targets at some point?

Manuel wrote:PS: Make a full body proxy is not so straightforward. Remember to create two separate groups for upperlip and lowerlip, to avoid a problem in fitting the mouth during animations. Also the fitting of penis can create some wrinkles is the reference groups are not perfect.

Thanks for the info and for all your work on MakeHuman!
FigureSculptor

Postby joepal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Do you really need a proxy for it? The alternative approach is to implement genitals as clothes, in which case you are not restricted to the having the same density as the base mesh or any proxy.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby FigureSculptor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:20 pm

joepal wrote:Do you really need a proxy for it? The alternative approach is to implement genitals as clothes, in which case you are not restricted to the having the same density as the base mesh or any proxy.

In this particular situation, that might work, but thinking about the future - there are targets that make sense for one proxy but not others. Things like increasing the muscle definition on the muscle proxies, for example. Seems like long term, it might be an option to think about adding.
FigureSculptor

Postby elfboi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:13 am

Is anybody working on a penis that isn't just a cosmetic prop, but actually "works" (i.e. comes with targets for a retractable foreskin, different sizes and shapes [glans, scrotum, etc.], no foreskin/circumcised variant)?
elfboi

Return to User contributions