Could I ask for one more skeleton variation?

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Could I ask for one more skeleton variation?

Postby rampa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:47 am

Firstly. Thank you so much for getting the jaw and lip bones on a common parent! That makes it much easier to use. :) Overall, I'm really liking what Makehuman has evolved into.

I was also hoping that there is a way to provide one more skeleton option that is the same as the default except for having only one bone for all the toes.

Or if the Ergonomy skeleton could include the facial and breast bones. Some tushie bones as well would be even more fun, but certainly not necessary! :oops:
rampa

Re: Could I ask for one more skeleton variation?

Postby brkurt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:42 am

rampa wrote:Firstly. Thank you so much for getting the jaw and lip bones on a common parent! That makes it much easier to use. :) Overall, I'm really liking what Makehuman has evolved into.

I was also hoping that there is a way to provide one more skeleton option that is the same as the default except for having only one bone for all the toes.

Or if the Ergonomy skeleton could include the facial and breast bones. Some tushie bones as well would be even more fun, but certainly not necessary! :oops:

Here's the list ones I always need to add, not so much for the body mesh, but to control clothing:
(1) Scapula; (2) Arm Pit; (3) Extra Lumbar vertabra; (4) Gluteus (really helps for skirts); (5) Kneecap (for squats); (6) Tarsal (for martial arts footwork); (7) Extra Abdomen (for intense breathing).

I'm sure one could get by without these, but it's way easier this way.

Finally, and I'm sure there will be lots of arguments on this one, but a 'wig rig' needs to parented to the base rig, so one can control different hairstyles. This is a better idea than adding shape keys for the hair, and a wig could have a mix of mesh and particle hair, both of which could come under control of a 'wig rig'.
brkurt

Postby Manuel » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:19 am

@Rampa.
Please, add this in our issue tracker, so I'll not miss it. It's a valid feature request.

@Brkurt.
"Wig rig" is almost impossible, due the infinite variations of hairstyle and hair modelling techniques.
Manuel

Postby duststorm » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:23 am

You would need a rig specifically for one hair model. But I'm not that certain that hair movement should happen by means of skeletal animation, to get it looking realistic you probably need a simulation based on particle hair.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby brkurt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:49 pm

duststorm wrote:You would need a rig specifically for one hair model. But I'm not that certain that hair movement should happen by means of skeletal animation, to get it looking realistic you probably need a simulation based on particle hair.

That is as I suspected.

One of the reasons that I've gone this way is because one rig can be parented to another in Blende 2.6x (and above); this is however, a little-used and little-known feature. :)

Skeletal animation for hair would be 'good enough' for present-day gaming, and also for what I call 'kung-fu' cloth. A good example of these techniques can be found in the game 'Heavenly Sword' although the game itself is meh. :(

The 'wig rig' and special bones I need to better control clothing have created a 'jumping off point' for me with respect to using Makehuman out-of-the-box. :geek:

My cardinal rule is that I never (ever!) change a vertex in the base mesh; that gives me a link back to the MH community. ;)
brkurt

Return to User contributions