clothing with a simple enveloppe?

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

clothing with a simple enveloppe?

Postby motorhackz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:22 am

Hello,

I feel really enthusisastic about MH. The project is still in development and we can expect great outputs...
But meanwhile, the lacky thing is about clothing...

So I'de like to make a suggestion about something that could help in quick character design, with the help of an integral clothing envelop.
Say a tapered clone of the body, where a cutout/transparent shader could do the basic clothing job, using the same UVs and topology... Then we would just have to sketch a texture in a painting software (on top of the body texture as a helper), as to manage clothing, gloves, face hair...
We could then turn the envelop into a jumpsuit, underwears and stockings, anything fitted to the body without pocking through... and add props and bigger pieces of cloth later on.

DX11 shaders would already do the job directly on the body mesh without the need of a secondary mesh, as they're able to change the tesselation and do extrusion, but it's not an universal feature yet.
motorhackz

Re: clothing with a simple enveloppe?

Postby wizardious » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:15 am

Could you not just do that by painting on the skin texture? eg.. catsuit. Maybe I am misunderstanding your question. :?
wizardious

Re: clothing with a simple enveloppe?

Postby motorhackz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi,
yes you're right... Painting on the body could make it as long as you have some possibility of extrusion... with a new-gen shader.
Otherwise it might look too flat... so I was thinking of something more physical, that would be 0.5 or 1cm away from the body and covering body details and seams.
Such a mesh could also have its own targets in addition to body morphs, as to make different collars, pockets, etc.
Since my post I found that this could be done with makeCloth in Blender, but I don't use blender yet.
motorhackz

Return to User contributions