wanna share hairs and cloths ?

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby devrich » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:50 pm

I'm sorry but ummm..... I don't quite understand this topic.... Are you guys saying that you want to have a 3rd party site for someone keeping an eye out for criminals stealing copyrighted material? Or are you wanting a site for just putting up models to be used only for MakeHuman models? or ???

if anyone wants to sell their 3D models there is always TurboSquid ( the only popular place that i know of where you can sell your 3D assets, feel free tomention any others you know of ).

From my perspective: If someone were to build a brand new site tohost 3D models/textures/animations/other_assets for MakeHuman character models then why not just post them here on the MakeHuman forums in a .zip file and then explain what license restrictions you want to place on them. "Legally" you could just refer a court/judge back to the MakeHuman site and to your specific post showcasing that you previously created and posted your assets and under a specific license which went up at a specific date/time. <-- that would all "pre"-date anyone downloading or copying your work which would be all the "proof" you would need to proove that someone either outright stole your work and/or is in violation of your license for the work.

^---- all that would need to be done to make that work is to "lock" a sub-forum on these MakeHuman forums that would _not-allow_ any post/topic editing by anyone other than an administrator.

^---- poor-man's copyright.. Done.. in my humble opinion ;)

--PLUS-- This would help bring in more traffic to MakeHuman as you could spread the word about your assets and people would get excited knowing that they too can create their own assets.

@Manuel: if this sounds like a good idea then how about creating a new sub-forum for "Third-Party Art Assets ( no post editing allowed here )" ?
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
User avatar
devrich
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:47 pm
Location: Usa

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby joepal » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:06 pm

devrich wrote:I'm sorry but ummm..... I don't quite understand this topic.... Are you guys saying that you want to have a 3rd party site for someone keeping an eye out for criminals stealing copyrighted material? Or are you wanting a site for just putting up models to be used only for MakeHuman models? or ???


I'm just saying none of the official devs is currently able to spend the effort of maintaining a site for a structured repository of user uploads at the moment. It's likely to involve quite a lot of work to set it up and keep it in shape. So if someone else wants to do it, then great. We don't have any official opinion on how exactly such a site should look, what its rules or what its format should be: that's up to the people who wants to take the initiative. If asked for hints and help we'll obviously answer to our best capability though.

Concerning uploads on forums: While we're not exctly encouraging people to upload stuff, we're not dissallowing people from uploading or linking stuff either. If you look through the history you'll see that a few pretty successful skins made it to the forums. For example the http://www.makehuman.org/sites/www.make ... acepng.png skin (http://www.makehuman.org/sites/www.make ... nesque.png for the skin as such... It's the old UV though) started out as a forum contribution if I remember it right.

But that's quite a different thing from having a moderated library of user contributions.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:20 am

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby brkurt » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:49 pm

joepal wrote:
I'm just saying none of the official devs is currently able to spend the effort of maintaining a site for a structured repository of user uploads at the moment. It's likely to involve quite a lot of work to set it up and keep it in shape. So if someone else wants to do it, then great. We don't have any official opinion on how exactly such a site should look, what its rules or what its format should be: that's up to the people who wants to take the initiative. If asked for hints and help we'll obviously answer to our best capability though.

Concerning uploads on forums: While we're not exctly encouraging people to upload stuff, we're not dissallowing people from uploading or linking stuff either. If you look through the history you'll see that a few pretty successful skins made it to the forums. For example the http://www.makehuman.org/sites/www.make ... acepng.png skin (http://www.makehuman.org/sites/www.make ... nesque.png for the skin as such... It's the old UV though) started out as a forum contribution if I remember it right.

But that's quite a different thing from having a moderated library of user contributions.


If our new Digital Culture program is accepted by our college's Board of Governors http://www.stpeterscollege.ca in the second week of April 2015, then I would be glad to maintain such a site. I do lots and lots of Word Press (having started back in 2002 with LAMP stacks), so I've got the expertise.

I can't do that out of my own pocket, however, much as I would like to.
brkurt
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby blalan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:40 pm

I am a web developer for a small video and web company in the US. I was able to help the MakeHuman team several years back with documentation, but work and family has taken up almost all my time. This sounds like the perfect place for me to help out the MakeHuman community again. My company has a reseller account and we sell hosting services pretty cheap ($5 a month), but I would be willing to cover costs to host the site including domain. I could also help a little bit with maintenance, as I have quite a bit of experience with Wordpress as well ;)
blalan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 am

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby devrich » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:56 am

I would still strongly recommend my suggestions in my post above: http://forum.makehuman.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11253&p=27324#p27321 to help on the legal front, after all poor man's copyright is still copyright ;-)

Heck I might even find some time to create an asset or two in a few months down the line to contribute :-)

** ALSO: Note how GitHub does their copy rights https://help.github.com/articles/open-source-licensing/ plus they have some good articles on policy for DCMA violations you could review: https://help.github.com/search/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=DMCA and they even have joined a anti-patent troll network called "LOT" https://github.com/blog/1936-fighting-patent-trolls-with-the-lot-network

Just some useful reads for if you guys are realllllllly serious about doing this because I would like to contribute some open-source models ( again down the ine as i have free time to design them ).

Additionally; I would also suggest to recommend to those wanting to donate models to the repository to showcase pictures/screenshots of their development cycle and of their references ( where legal to do so ) as this always inspires confidence in the artist from any developer point of view :)
Don't settle for what someone else made -- upPIC your own [:.:] at: http://DevRich78.com/upPIC
User avatar
devrich
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:47 pm
Location: Usa

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:16 am

blalan wrote:I am a web developer for a small video and web company in the US. I was able to help the MakeHuman team several years back with documentation, but work and family has taken up almost all my time. This sounds like the perfect place for me to help out the MakeHuman community again. My company has a reseller account and we sell hosting services pretty cheap ($5 a month), but I would be willing to cover costs to host the site including domain. I could also help a little bit with maintenance, as I have quite a bit of experience with Wordpress as well ;)




I am offering free ($0) space on one of my less used machines.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Wannabe Science Fiction Author, Brewer of Belgian Style Ales, BBQ Fanatic and Dog Enthusiast
http://science-fiction.berghold.net
User avatar
SaltyCowdawg
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby brkurt » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:19 am

SaltyCowdawg wrote:
blalan wrote:I am a web developer for a small video and web company in the US. I was able to help the MakeHuman team several years back with documentation, but work and family has taken up almost all my time. This sounds like the perfect place for me to help out the MakeHuman community again. My company has a reseller account and we sell hosting services pretty cheap ($5 a month), but I would be willing to cover costs to host the site including domain. I could also help a little bit with maintenance, as I have quite a bit of experience with Wordpress as well ;)




I am offering free ($0) space on one of my less used machines.


Hello Salty...what I need for you to do for me (and the MH community) is to process the designs I create through MakeClothes, which I've never been able to get working. I think the solution here is a team approach, where we divide up the tasks.
brkurt
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby learning » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:27 am

As to the engine thing, anybody knows what blendswap is using? Is it opensource? It seems that they figured out all the quirks of running such a site, including licensing/copyright stuff among other things. MHswap would work perfectly.
learning
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 am

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby johnny2k » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:15 pm

I just created a BitBucket repository to use for sharing clothing. Right now it only contains the default clothing but I'll be adding what I make starting tonight.

https://bitbucket.org/mh_clothing/clothes
johnny2k
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby joepal » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 am

johnny2k wrote:I just created a BitBucket repository to use for sharing clothing. Right now it only contains the default clothing but I'll be adding what I make starting tonight.

https://bitbucket.org/mh_clothing/clothes


Good initiative.

Wishlist item though: Please add info text per piece of clothing stating its license (AGPL in the case of MH items) and origin. If you get more contributors, this will grow even more important since it's not necessarily the case that all contributions are made under the same license terms.

Then a hint: The NPZ files are simply compiled versions of the clothes. They are created as a part of the build process when making distributable versions of MH. They are not necessary to distribute (MH is perfectly fine with opening the vanilla, uncompiled versions... The compilation is just there for speeding up things and saving some space).
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to User contributions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest