Few .target

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Few .target

Postby Teto » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:26 am

Manuel wrote:I'm glad to see people interested to give a real help to the project. With someone that work on this task only, the thing is feasible.

The most simple way is what I described above. From programming point of view, it will be just a special/improved version of the custom target plugin, so ..Yes Teto, I think it's feasible for you :)
With this kind of plugin, the user will have the max freedom to mix targets. This is good under some points of view, but on other hand it will be easy to mix wrong, not compatible targets, and create ugly characters.
Anyway an user that reads the documentation and learns the rules to follow in mixing the morphs, can obtain great results, even creating half humans and half toons.

These should be steps:

- The first step is boring. It's about to decide the categories and the targets to develop and then create ORIGINAL blueprints.
- Then we need to design the GUI, using MH standard widgets and philosophy, with max usability.
- Finally the funny stuff, the modeling (Blender + maketarget) and the programming.

It's matter of motivation, resources, time and patience.

What do you mean, by original ?
Anyway, I'll think about it this week and post a blueprint with sketches since finished.

By the way, Manuel, you wrote "Anyway an user that reads the documentation and learns the rules to follow in mixing the morphs, can obtain great results, even creating half humans and half toons." : Can you send me a link where it is, to be sure that I have the good one ?

Also "Then we need to design the GUI, using MH standard widgets and philosophy, with max usability." : Any link for this part ? :)

duststorm wrote:
Teto wrote:(...) there's just one tab for .target. Be able to have a list (of parts of the body) on the right of the screen, and corresponding targets on the left (...) would be great.

As far as I remember, this is already possible. Just create subfolders in the custom/ folder with your targets in them, and they will show up on the right.

Thanks. I'll try that. If I can add .thumbs too, I'll make a V2 of mys targets and post them here. :P
Teto

Postby duststorm » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:10 am

Thumbnails is just a png image with the same name as the target.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Teto wrote:What do you mean, by original ?

Original, fresh, not copied from copyrighted characters.
For example we can't use blueprints (settei) from One Piece, Naruto and so on.
And of course you can't retopo game character. All must be ORIGINAL.

By the way, Manuel, you wrote "Anyway an user that reads the documentation and learns the rules to follow in mixing the morphs, can obtain great results, even creating half humans and half toons." : Can you send me a link where it is, to be sure that I have the good one ?

I was talking of the possible future tool.

Also "Then we need to design the GUI, using MH standard widgets and philosophy, with max usability." : Any link for this part ? :)

It's our style, clear design, optimize the buttons, avoid complex actions, keeping it simple, etc...there is no link for it.

this week and post a blueprint with sketches since finished

Starting to sketch something without a clear plan can be a big waste of time.
First we need to know the resources available, then decide what are the categories to support, then start to work on one of them.
Are we going to develop targets for western-style toons? Or for japan-style anime? In case of western: superl-hero comics style? Or caricature style? In case of anime..what type of anime? Game-realistic style? Kodomo style? Shojo Style?
Who will work on them?

Without a design it will be just a collection of many random targets, but far from a serious tool.
Perhaps my words can appear a bit dry, but in these years of MH administration I learned that a lot of enthusiasm, without a good plan, it's often a fail.
Manuel

Postby Teto » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Yep, that's why I'm thinking of a blueprint that could avoid all these problems. I already have few ideas.

I've understood the other points.

If I write a blueprint, can I use photos of existing characters, not to imitate them, I agree, but just to be clear on my example, because I have no time/skill to explain by making the character (it's not just for fun that I want to use makehuman... :lol: ). It would be just a part of a photo, just to say "if you want to have this type of hand...". What about that ?
Teto

Postby Manuel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Teto wrote:
If I write a blueprint, can I use photos of existing characters, not to imitate them, I agree, but just to be clear on my example, because I have no time/skill to explain by making the character (it's not just for fun that I want to use makehuman... :lol: ). It would be just a part of a photo, just to say "if you want to have this type of hand...". What about that ?

In theory the blueprint should be something different...the image above show an attempt done by other makehuman artists many years ago:
anime_example.png

But I've a doubt...if you don't have time for the sketch..I think we still don't have enough resources to start this adventure :)
Manuel

Postby Teto » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Oh, I see. Yep, what I was thinking is a bit different (but not too much). I'll do my thing and I'll propose to you.
Sketching will be more stylized, but not too far about what you showed to me. I'll try something.

It's a problem with your soft : The person who has the skill to do the thing in a reasonable time, well, do it for himself and sell it (who said DAZ3D ?). Most of people aren't very interesting by doing anything for free. I don't care, personally, because even if I do blueprints and nothing more, and someone takes them and sculpt to make a model I can use, I'm OK with that. But it's not the case for many people. The last PM I had ? A guy who wanted to sell to me his ugly clothes. Meh. Keep them, and. don't. bother. me. anymore. Please.

Anyway, I'll try something. If you think that's it's not good enough, I'll wait someone more skilled than me. :)
Teto

Postby Teto » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 pm

I did an update of the target on the first post, with comments. :)
I think I'll do a target for navel location. Stay tuned.
Teto

Postby duststorm » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:59 pm

Cool. There's hope for getting MakeAnime done faster now :)
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Previous

Return to User contributions