Exporting .obj groups

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Exporting .obj groups

Postby Roygee » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:06 am

Just wondering - are there any plans to allow Makehuman .obj's exportable with named groups, using the Poser group naming syntax?

This would make it really compatible with Poser, Hexagon, Daz Studio and Carrara, which have a combined user base of millions
Roygee

Re: Exporting .obj groups

Postby ThomasL » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:29 am

Do you have a specification? How does Poser obj differ from Wavefront obj? Are there any specific requirements on group names or on the mesh?
ThomasL

Postby Roygee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:38 am

Hi Thomas - I apologize for the late reply - never got a notification that there had been a reply.

There is no difference in the .obj that Poser uses (except that it is a really tiny scale, but that's of no importance here.

The usual methods I've seen for bones attaching is to assign verts to bones. Poser and Daz Studio works by assigning groups of polys. So, for instance, all the polys associated with the right forearm would be rForearm, etc.

One of the methods of rigging is to take the figure into a modeling app, such as Hexagon, split it into the appropriate groups, export at Poser scale. Import into Daz Studio and using the Figure Setup Tools, use a donor skeleton from one of the Daz figures. This assigns the bones to the appropriate polys. The figure is then exported using the Poser File Export function as a .cr2. This is then usable in Daz Studio, Carrara and Poser. It can be posed, animated and morphed into different characters.

Splitting the figure into groups is a long involved process - if MakeHuman could be pre-split into these groups, it would really become very popular with users of those products.

If you are interested, I could prepare a MakeHuman figure - can't include the bones, unfortunately, as that would be violating the Daz TOS. In order to see the groups, you would need to open it in an app that preserves groups on import.

You could PM me if you want to take this further?
Roygee

Postby mflerackers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:58 am

It seems our exporter takes a shortcut and doesn't export the groups we use internally (see base.obj). We can add these groups to the export if it helps. But you'll probalby have to use a script to rename these to the names daz uses, for example r-lowerarm -> rForearm.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby Roygee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Hey, that would be great if you can arrange to have the groups preserved on export :)

Even renaming manually would be OK - a lot better than the current method
Roygee

Return to User contributions