Have you considered a portable version

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Have you considered a portable version

Postby Déesse » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Okay, I didn't consider that fact. My main intention is to distribute a collection of free software to my students. So we don't need any installations on our school's machines, and everyone can work at home too.
Déesse

Re: Have you considered a portable version

Postby Freehunter » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:54 am

I see there was a little interest in a portable version. Curiosity got the better of me and I started looking at PortableApps.com for the instrucions for using their launcher.

I got it started but it was not cleaning up after itself. A little more exploration in the instructions and in their development forum and I think I have it working. Still probably needs cleaning up and probably better ways to do it.

CAUTION: I have it putting a makehuman directory in the My Documents folder. If there is already one there, the launcher "should" back it up and restore when closed. To be safe make sure your directory is backed up in case it gets overwritten instead.

makehumanportable.jpg

1. Unzip the attached file, MakehumanPortable_DevTest_template.zip, to a flashdrive or harddrive. ( Ideally it would be into a PortableApps installation but it is not necessary. ) [Shoud NOT be in Program Files folder.]

2. Unzip the Makehuman installation files, makehuman-1.0.2-win32.zip, into the makehuman directory. ( It is located in the App directory under MakehumanPortable, see attached picture.)

3. If you alread have a makehuman directory in the My Documents folder, BACK IT UP.

4. Run the portable launcher, MakehumanPortable.exe.

Makehuman should run as normal. Try a few changes on a model and save as .mhm. Exit.

The makehuman directory that was created in the My Documents folder should be removed. Check the Data folder under Makehuman Portable. There should be a makehuman folder. In it you should find a models directory with the model you saved.

A note, evidently QT has some issues with cleaning up after itself. PortableApps recommends clearing some keys on exit. I've included that function.

I have not tried making an installer yet which would include all the installation files. I wanted to see if the launcher was working first. It was easier to upload this brief template as a demonstration.

I don't really have the knowledge to maintain this but it gives a starting point to explore the possibilities.

Wil
Attachments
MakehumanPortable_DevTest_template.zip
(266.18 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Freehunter

Previous

Return to User contributions