Contribution: Very dark african litsphere texture

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Contribution: Very dark african litsphere texture

Postby Nadow » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Hello everyone!

After I have created a litsphere texture for very dark skinned african characters I thought it could be included in the MH program by default? :)
It is a derivative work of the existing african litsphere texture so the license should be clear.

Litspheres (normal left, sweat right):
Image Image

Screenshots (normal left, sweat right):
Image Image
Desaster Games
// Lead artist
Nadow

Re: Contribution: Very dark african litsphere texture

Postby EagleBZ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Is there some way to d/l this texture for use in my current MakeHuman program?

I'd like to create a character with this skin texture for a movie I'm thinking of doing in 3DS Max.

My current MH programs are 1) make human (basic program)

and 2) MH niteline.

and can it be used with this tut http://www.makehuman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9846 here?

Thanks in advance.
EagleBZ

Postby Manuel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Assuming you are using mh 1.0 alpha 8 RC, you can just download the two sphere images from the previous post, and use them to replace lit_african.png in makehuman\data\litspheres
Manuel

Postby duststorm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:49 pm

EagleBZ wrote:I'd like to create a character with this skin texture for a movie I'm thinking of doing in 3DS Max.

Note that these textures are for a litsphere (called MatCap by Zbrush) shader.
I don't think they will be very useful for a movie as this type of shading does not react to lights in your scene at all.

Also there are no guarantees that litshpere shading will work out of the box to the tool you're exporting to. You will have to enable a similar type of shading on that tool.

A good MH skin material comes with a .mhmat file that also defines real shading properties that should match the litsphere texture as close as possible. Those type of materials are more useful in a real scene.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby EagleBZ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 am

duststorm wrote:
A good MH skin material comes with a .mhmat file that also defines real shading properties that should match the litsphere texture as close as possible. Those type of materials are more useful in a real scene.

OK, how do I do this?

post step by step please?
EagleBZ

Postby duststorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:06 pm

EagleBZ wrote:how do I do this?

In settings > plugins, enable the Material Editor plugin and restart MH.

In the material editor (Utilities tab), load your material file. If you don't have one yet, first select a material that is close to the one you want to create, as a good starting point. Select it in the Material chooser tab.
Then back in Material Editor, set shader to "None" (required for now as our Phong shader is not complete yet).

Now you see what your model will look like in a more regular lighting setup. You can start tweaking the material properties on the right. Toggle back and forth between Litsphere and None shader (on the left) and try to match both as best as possible.

When done save your material under a new name, somewhere in the data/skins/ folder.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to User contributions