Eye Texture Bug!

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Eye Texture Bug!

Postby kandlaker » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:41 am

When I export a model from MakeHuman - I Tried OBJ and FBX, DAE - the SAME problem:
the eyes textures just do NOT work in other programs!! I Tried many including several versions of Blender!
As I understand the problem or bug is that the Eye UV texture are mapped to work inside the eye balls geometries(?) How can I solve it? The textures in other parts just working PERFECT!!
kandlaker

Re: Eye Texture Bug!

Postby tomcat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:37 am

kandlaker wrote:How can I solve it?

Try exporting to Blender via MXH2 or socket.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby kandlaker » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:48 am

Well, I installed the MHX2-Runtime on Blender 3.5 But I get error message when I try to import MHX2 file I exported from MakeHuman.
As for Socket - I see that the download link doesn't work.
kandlaker

Postby kandlaker » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:54 am

Sorry, I see that Socket is already built in the MakeHuman 1.2.0 and it works very well but it still doesn't fix the problem of the eye textures: I CAN see the eyes texture work very well in Blender 3.5 but that problem repeats when I try to export from Blender to another program.
kandlaker

Postby tomcat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:09 am

kandlaker wrote:Well, I installed the MHX2-Runtime on Blender 3.5 But I get error message when I try to import MHX2 file I exported from MakeHuman.

What's the error? I checked — the import works.

Probably need to update MXH2 on the MakeHuman side.
I CAN see the eyes texture work very well in Blender 3.5 but that problem repeats when I try to export from Blender to another program.

What program are you trying to export to? If the textures are displayed correctly in Blendere, it's probably not an MakeHuman error.
tomcat

Postby kandlaker » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:23 am

I Use older programs like Deep Exploration 2 and Poser 7, what most weird is that all the other textures looks very well, just not the eyes - I Get blank "white" eyes!
kandlaker

Postby tomcat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:40 am

kandlaker wrote:I Get blank "white" eyes!

Maybe need to change the material settings in the target program… or try to override it in Blender. MXH2 works a bit better with textures than others.

When I place the MakeHuman model in the game engine, I change the eye texture settings in the material properties in the engine.
tomcat

Postby kandlaker » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:58 pm

Thanks a LOT for the help Tomcat, I think I begin to understand the problem: older program works only with very specific UV Material properties - I Did not find what it is yet but at least I am in the right direction :-)
THANKS!
kandlaker

Postby kandlaker » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:08 pm

Thanks a LOT to the wonderful team of MakeHuman :) that helped me to solve the problem (received the answer through Facebook):
I think what you run into here is that those programs you export to do not take the alpha channel of the texture into account. This ends up being a problem when you use the "high-poly" eyes, which have a transparent outer layer.

There are two ways to fix this.

The easy way: use the "low-poly" eyes instead. These do not have the transparent outer layer, so the problem should not arise.

The slightly harder way: Make sure the third part program properly links to the alpha channel of the eye texture.

For blender, the easiest way to achieve option two is to use the recommended import path (MPFB2) rather than exporting via an external format such as OBJ. For information on MPFB2, see http://static.makehumancommunity.org/mpfb.html. With MPFB2 installed in blender, you should be able to simply open the makehuman save file for the character instead of first having to export the character.
kandlaker

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests