Need Jammy PPA

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Need Jammy PPA

Postby Ricardo2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:28 pm

When I updated to Linux Mint 21.1 MakeHuman was broken.

The program actually runs fine, but the rendering engine is trashed, not only on the output side, but in the pre rendering view port.

When building a model from the base with subdivisions enabled, the image is jagged and geometries are transparent in that clothes are not displayed correctly (they cull all back faces.)

If I do a quick render, eye and mouth cavities appear.

If I do an advanced render, the image looks proper. However, as soon as I return to the other tabs, the model becomes a shadow. I must close MakeHuman to get back to a visible model, wherein I can repeat the error by doing the same steps.

If I try to update things, I get an error saying the PPA does not support Jammy.

The only way I was able to get it working in 21.1 was to go to Github, download the latest stable build, and copy it over the existing install, which got gutted during the OS upgrade.

I am running the latest nVidia driver v5.25 and it is properly configured. My platform is an Intel Xeon 1246v3 with 32GB of DDR3. It has been flawless up until now.

The workaround is to move my work to another machine which is running Windows 7.

I look forward to being able to work on my Linux Mint machine. It is much more comfortable and stable compaired to Windows...

I wait eagerly for the Jammy PPA. Let's go. dav team...
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Re: Need Jammy PPA

Postby Ricardo2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:12 pm

Switching the GPU driver to Xorg fixes the black shadow model problem in advanced renders but the mouth and eye cavity issue remains in basic rendering. Also, the jagged edges of hair and such still exist, no matter which driver is used. However, advanced renders look fine and do not display anomalies.

I eagerly wait on a fix for these issues so I can return to the nVidia driver since my Gigabyte GTX960 is missing most of the Xconfig features under the Xorg driver.
Ricardo2020

Postby Ricardo2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:29 pm

The back face culling issue for clothing still exists with Xorg, even when rendering and looking at the rendered image, so the problem appears to be with MakeHuman getting spitballed by the Mint 21.1 upgrade.

This makes the program useless on my Linux Mint 21.1 machine. All I am able to do is create models, which works fine. I just cannot render them or look at the assets properly in the view port. Moving my 250GB of project files to a Windows box will not be easy...

This will require a rewrite of the MakeHuman view port runtimes. It means that the program is going to need some major updating before its next release as an official Linux PPA for Jammy and later.

I noticed that some of these issues also exist in the MAC version running on my iMAC 2011 with High Sierra. The iMAC is running the latest supported OS for its vintage and cannot be upgraded to current stuff like Ventura.

I have yet to fully test the Windows version...
Ricardo2020

Postby Ricardo2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:55 pm

If I turn off subdivisions, the back face culling issue goes away. If I turn it back on, the issue returns. This is evident pre or post render. Interesting...
Ricardo2020

Re: Need Jammy PPA Workaround

Postby Ricardo2020 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:56 am

This was drastic.

Buy new 1tB SSD. Install Jammy.

Transfer files from old SSD. Clean install Focal. Reinstall MakeHuman to Focal.

Transfer files from Jammy drive to Focal drive. Leave a backup on Jammy.

MakeHuman now works as before on Focal.

Problem solved.

Now all I have to do is wait on the Jammy PPA. I am certain it will be a new version of MakeHuman with the features talked about in the forum...

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Ricardo continues modeling those super sized big beautiful women now numbering around 530 figures....
Ricardo2020

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests