Nipple topology not round

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Nipple topology not round

Postby coz » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:07 pm

Nipples are not round, and it's easier to see if you apply a Catmull-Clark Subsurf modifier in Blender using MPFB v2.0-a3. The issue is present in the 20221028 alpha of MakeHuman-Community. The issue seems to be first that vertices do not form a circle shape, more like an oval, and second that the faces are created with oblique edges instead of using the straightest path.

Here's the problem without and with subsurf
Image Image

Here's a hand-made "solution", without and with subsurf. The first thing was making the vertices form an approximate circle, then remade the faces so that when the subsurf gets applied the direction is horizontal (which seems more natural to me) and third I extruded the nipple tip slightly. It may not be a perfect solution but it's definitely better.
Image Image

So I wonder if this can be changed by the MakeHuman devs.

Not sure if this is the best place to post since there's an old thread at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14300 and a open bug at https://github.com/makehumancommunity/m ... issues/178 , and while the male nipple is more distorted, I think the female model is also distorted, so I posted here for feedback before posting on the open bugtracker issue.

Update: I found an easier workaround that gives good results even with Catmull-Clark Subsurf. Select the nipple tip vertices, then do Mesh -> Transform -> To Sphere ( Shift + Alt + S ) with a 1.0 value. After that, extrude the vertices and scale them by 0.9. This adds 16 vertices per nipple, and alternatively you can just make the middle vertices ring into the nipple (or even delete and remake the nipple tip), but this will surely mess with the MakeHuman textures.
coz

Re: Nipple topology not round

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:00 am

I completely agree that the nipple topology is suboptimal. There are several places in the base mesh where the topology could be improved.

However, changing the base mesh has far-reaching consequences. It risks making all targets and clothes matched against that area behave differently, and it is very difficult to know in advance exactly which asset will be broken and how.

So at this moment changes to the actual topology of the base mesh is pretty much excluded.

The normal way to deal with different needs in topology is to use an alternate topology, a proxy. Basically you could copy paste the base mesh, change the nipple topology, pipe the changed mesh through makeclothes and put the results in the proxymeshes folder. Then you'd have both: an intact base mesh and an improved nipple topology.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Nipple topology not round

Postby coz » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:23 pm

Ah!

I didn't really consider creating my own proxy (seriously, would have saved me some time already), but I'll probably do that soon.
coz

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests