please explain target inc decr

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

please explain target inc decr

Postby jojololo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:38 pm

May someone tell me the exact meaning of those files please?

Thanks
jojololo

Re: please explain target inc decr

Postby Ricardo2020 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:52 pm

Target files for MakeHuman either increase or decrease a vector or set of vectors affecting the shape of a model mesh from its default state. This is accomplished by moving the slider associated with the target to the left or right from its center default state. Left movements decrease this value, while right movements increase it.

In the Modeling tab, there are a number of stock targets such as age, muscle, weight, height, etc. Looking closer at, say, the weight target as an example, in the default center position, the target does not affect the shape of the model. However, if you move it to the left, the model becomes skinny. Likewise, moving it to the right makes the model fat.

MakeHuman comes with a vast array of built-in targets, but thanks to the efforts of the community, many more can be added. To do this, download the desired target(s) from the target asset page on this site and put them inside your custom folder within the home directory where MakeHuman puts user content. For Linux, it will be inside the home folder. For Windows, look in the documents folder. Custom targets are found in the Custom tab inside MakeHuman. The ones you install will be found on this tab.

If you are like me, you have so many custom targets that it becomes hard to find the one you want. Thus, you can put them in subfolders within the custom directory. Note that doing so will break any models made before the shuffle. If this happens, you can open the model file in a text editor and correct the path arguments to reflect any changes, then save the file and reload the model.

Targets can be made using Blender, though I have not yet learned how to do this. There are folks here in the community who can bring you up to speed on how it is done, and there are many tutorials online which detail the process. However, MakeHuman has a feature via an optional plugin which lets you save targets. To use it, first dial in your medel and then go to the Utilities tab and look for Save Targets. Click the save as button and give your new target a name, then click save.

Save Targets lets you create a full body morph that can travel with a given model it was made for. Thus, your model, along with the saved target, can be moved to another machine or uploaded to the community and it will load the same as when it was made on the original platform. When using such a target, it is best to start fresh, that is, close and reopen MakeHuman, then go to the Custom tab and apply your target before saving the model. It helps to give the target and the model a common name so they are easy to find later.

Know that targets can be finicky, with some not playing nice with others. Also note that some targets are much stronger than others. And so, trial and error is the method that yields a finished model. As you learn the ins and outs of the targets you use, practice will make perfect.

Happy targeting...
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Postby jojololo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:14 pm

Thanks, any idea why incr and decr are not the exact inverse?

Buttocks for example?
That is the object of my other question http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20421

Thanks!
jojololo

Postby loki1950 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:19 pm

They can not be exact inverse the the math to manipulate the whole 3D mesh just does not allow that remember that is what all 3D apps do in the background all that math is usually hidden from the user so he/she can be an artist ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby jojololo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:53 pm

Thanks ! But if I do x+=.01, once I want to go back, I should do x-=-.01. even in 3D!

But even with those different values, the shape seems to go back consistently.
Worse: the vertices are not even the same most of the time! Wow
jojololo

Postby jojololo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:44 pm

I think I get it:
Incr is used when the slider is above 0 and decr when the slider is below.
So those files values are decorrelated..

Am I right?

Now I will try to create a target if my knowledge is good.
jojololo

Postby loki1950 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:21 am

There is no consistent correlation that is because makehuman uses a para-metric model for the mesh description not a unit based one those parameters all are values between -1 and +1 though mostly between 0 and 1. And your observation on differing vertex values is valid so the other reason it's art not science.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby jojololo » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:12 am

Thanks! I get it now ;)
jojololo

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests