MakeHuman C++

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

MakeHuman C++

Postby Aurelien » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am

Hi,

I discover this software and I found it so powerful.
My compagny (french start up) and I work on a 3D but we developped in C++ (on rad studio). Actually, we create our own 3D avatar, but it's not enough realistic as makehuman's avatar.

So I would like to know, does it exist a way to use (API or SDK or DLL) in C++ with my application ?

Sincerely,
Aurelien
Aurelien

Re: MakeHuman C++

Postby joepal » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:19 pm

Depends a bit on what you are asking. If the question is if you can use 3d characters exported from MakeHuman via c++ somehow, the answer is probably yes. For example, I think you can use the autodesk sdk to read FBX files and Qt to (reasonably) easily display a 3d object. It won't be trivial, but it is possible. There might be some compatibility problems with the FBX files produced by MH though.

If you are asking if you can interact with MH, extend it or similar, then this is also reasonably possible. You can communicate with a running MakeHuman instance via a local server socket and, for example, get the currently displayed object as an array of coordinates. The socket API is somewhat limited though.

If you want to build your own character editor/generator based on the makehuman assets (rather than on the makehuman code), this is also possible. All formats are open and reasonably well documented. Mesh objects are simple wavefront obj. Again, the opengl integration in Qt might be a good place to start in order to display things on the screen.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests