Can't start the program

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Can't start the program

Postby Absald » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:42 pm

Everything was working fine for 2 days. I was in the middle of downloading some assets with community plugin, then application crashed and exited to desktop. Tried to open again, nothing. I click on the icon and nothing happens. My gpu is working fine, I have just a single one, not multiple ones. The logs are from the session before the crash, nothing new is logged. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, still same problem.
Absald

Re: Can't start the program

Postby joepal » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Without getting something to go on, it's difficult to know what's wrong.

However, my first suggestion would be to go to your "Documents" folder and rename the makehuman directory to makehuman.bak and see if that helps. This should reset MH back to all default settings.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby TheGuy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:53 am

I'm having the exact same problem. I used MakeHuman for years, I remember using it a few months ago (my graphics card didn't change) and when I tried to load it again it just... did nothing. I don't get an error message or anything. I tried running it in the command prompt, where it told me I didn't have a python library (pyQT5) so I did a pip install pyqt5 and it installed, but that did nothing in making it run. I uninstalled the thing, deleted the documents folder and still nothing. I am not even a prompt from my anti-virus to ask me if it wants blocked or not.

When I try to run it, I briefly see a small box with the pyQT5 on it, but it disappears real quick. I have the correct python libraries installed, why no action?

Edit: I just learned that makehuman is not compatible with any version of pyqt5 above 5.12. But even uninstalling and installing an older version of pyQT5 did nothing.

Edit2: I don't think it's pyQT. The thing just won't open. Period. This is very frustrating.
TheGuy

Postby myersvandalay » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:23 pm

I don't know for certain if it's the same issue... don't know what OS you guys are running and if it's similar issue. but for me I run archlinux and it seems python upgraded to 3.10

Fortunately I knew just enough python to actually fix the main issues, so if you feel like editing files, it can be done. unfortunately my notes are far from perfect. but let me see what I can remember

in makehuman's install\lib directory

language.py
qtgui.py
log.py

and in the core folder

mhmain.py

search for the line

import collections

and update it to

import collections.abc as collections

in the core mhmain.py

find

self.progressBar.setProgress(value)
and replace it with

self.progressBar.setProgress(int(value))

same for

self.splash.setProgress(value)
to
self.splash.setProgress(int(value))

There's one or 2 more changes, someone else might be able to finish these fixes... basically if you can run the program in a terminal or a shell, you can see the errors in python.

cannot find ___ in collections.

means that file has an import collections that needs replaced with the first fix

type-error unexpected float

means the line specified needs to have int( ) wrapped around it's value.

Hopefully someone else can give full directions (I was half asleep when I fought this last night, and couldn't find anyone else running into it at the time).
myersvandalay

Postby joepal » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Actually we just got a pull request with much of this: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/m ... n/pull/188

If there are still some parts that need to be adjusted, we'd welcome another PR. But a list such as the one you posted works too.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests