Feature request: Show license details in UI

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Feature request: Show license details in UI

Postby khzmusik » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:46 am

Hi. I just started using Makehuman. My main interest, currently, is in making characters that I can use in a (free) modification to a video game that I play.

I have downloaded quite a few community assets, and would like to use them for these characters. However, there is no easy way to tell from the UI how these assets are licensed.

There is no way (that I can see) to get the details of an already-downloaded asset in the UI. If I go to the "Geometries" -> "Clothes" tab and select "Belt4-male-cjeans" on the right, I don't see any way to know that it is licensed as CC-BY, or that the author is Punkduck.

Once they are downloaded, they show up in the UI under different names than the names used when browsing for assets. For example, "Belt4-male-cjeans" in the UI is actually named "male classic jeans (belt)" in the Community tab. This makes it difficult to tell what asset is actually used once I create the character and return to it.

I want to abide by the licenses and give credit where credit is due, but this situation makes it difficult.

Is there any way to add the license details in the UI? For example, right-clicking on the asset in the right-hand pane could bring up the same "View details" window that you get in the Community tab when you select an asset.

An even better option would be to auto-generate some kind of license file from all the selected assets used in a file, so that if many are used (which I suspect happens often) you could just generate a credits file for that character to include in whatever way is appropriate.
khzmusik

Re: Feature request: Show license details in UI

Postby punkduck » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi

Well maybe we can add the information in the material editor, this I can test. I added the information of tri- or quad mesh there. Unfortunately the copyright information is only a comment, but you can find it in the .mhclo file as well:
Code: Select all
# Exported from MakeClothes (TM)
# author punkduck
# license CC-BY 4.0
# homepage http://www.makehuman.org/
uuid 5c23791c-8c5e-4bed-a0a8-ad8649de7cb6
basemesh hm08

Funny enough searching for the file is not always easy. So you are right about that. I don't like this information hiding, because it always makes the trouble-shooting complicated. And I had the same problems, when I migrated all the assets from old version to new one. (because the mhpxy or npz files should be deleted ... and this was because of the max-pole problem with triangles in the old version).

I added some extra information in the new branch, where we develop the bodyshapes, so on my box it already looks like this:

desktop.png
new descriptions

Maybe it will be information which can be switched on or off in the next version, at least I need the file paths somewhere to answer questions when people have problems with download etc.

Greetings
punkduck
punkduck

Postby Elvaerwyn » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:28 pm

Greetings,
This is something that I for one think of often also...it has been kicked around from time to time, but never found its way to priority. As a work around there is the asset downloader page. Once this has been updated/refreshed you can see the license info and lots of other relevant info relating to the asset. This is on the community tab under download assets. Hope this might help you see the things you need at a glance and speed up your workflow some?
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby punkduck » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:03 pm

I guess for 1.2,1 we can add this. On my box it works.

info.png
material-editor
info.png (18.9 KiB) Viewed 27196 times

This stuff took me a few hours. There was an algorithm, which put the name & license to MakeHuman and stored it in the binary mhpxy file as well. Unfortunately this fact was not important because the information was not used at all. So no wonder it was kinda deprecated and parts of the software had been changed without checking what will happen to the information. So we had 2 bugs in our software:

• New makeclothes creates comments "author:" and "license:". But the mhpxy file did not contain the author and license. The reason: old makeclothes worked without the colon. I changed the algorithm to accept both (with and without colon), Unfortunately this means, that you have to delete the existent mhpxy files, if you want the correct information when the new version is ready.
  • The complete mechanism was destroyed when native language support has changed the keys ... from "author" to b'author' inside MakeHuman. So the key was not found at all and makehuman always display cc0 + "the makehuman team" as the author (which is the default).
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:25 pm

for windows users this feature is now included in the nightly build ... for Linux it is in the master branch of github.

but please notice, that you have to delete your .mhpxy files in the clothes directories at least when the clothes had been generated with new makeclothes. Otherwise it will show the default entries "the makehuman team" and "cc0" because of a keyword change in makeclothes.
punkduck

Postby joepal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:08 pm

Also note that the information in the MHCLO/MHMAT file is not always in sync with the information provided when uploading the asset to the repos.

The information listed in the asset downloader is the license that the author expressly shared the asset under when creating it on the web.

This might lead to some confusion.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby punkduck » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:35 pm

well yes. But the information from our assets directory is lost after download. I guess the creators of assets should insert their name+licence in MakeClothes. The author is also able to re-upload it with a new license. Normally I tested my uploaded assets for completeness, checked the tags and also the author. Theoretically I can add a licence like CC-BY-NC-SA (non-commercial) and need to select CC-BY when I do the upload.
punkduck

Postby alicebobby » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:29 am

Indeed, in such case. Nevertheless, once downloaded, the data from our assets directory is lost. I suppose the people who created the assets should add their name and license to MakeClothes. With a new license, the author can also upload it again. Normally, I verify the author, tags, and completeness of the items I post. It is theoretically possible for me to add a license such as CC-BY-NC-SA (non-commercial), and I will have to choose CC-BY when uploading. 
buildnow gg 
alicebobby

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests