How to fix jagged clothing

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

How to fix jagged clothing

Postby MatCreator » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:30 pm

I think I did everything as i should have, the bodysuit model checked out ok by blender, and I was able to hide body parts behind the bodysuit. But how do I get rid of the jagged hard edges and lumps that form on the bodysuit? Even at default pose some of the hard edges are visible.
Attachments
grab_2021-09-11_09.15.10.png
MatCreator

Re: How to fix jagged clothing

Postby joepal » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:35 pm

Without knowing how your mesh looks, these are the possible causes:

1. Clothes vertices have been matched suboptimally with body vertices. This happens when you have a single vertex group for all vertices (in this case probably "body") or go with the default "left", "mid", "right" groups. In difficult areas, you might need to help the matcher along by assigning more detailed vertex groups on the clothes and on the body ("left_crotch", "outer_left_thigh"...)

2. It might be caused by too little geometry. There is not enough geometry to cater for a proper deformation. From the image, this does not to be the case in this instance though.

2. It might (kind of counterintuitively) be caused by too dense of a geometry. There are too many vertices, and they bunch up when you deform the body and squeeze them together.

But in general, it is not surprising that deformations look a bit strange on the first attempt. In difficult areas and in certain poses, the clothing might need a bit of tweaking in regards to both geometry and vertex matching to behave optimally.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby MatCreator » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:04 pm

thank you very much, your input is immensely appreciated, and you've shed some light on some points. sounds like im guilty as charged on offense 1 & 3...

i admit that i use dense geometry, i am not aware of any limits or rules of thumb, but if you could elaborate on the subject id appreciate it.

as far as setting the entire group to the "body", i was always skeptical of that, but i havent seen anywhere where one could break it up even further. please understand, i do enjoy makehuman, but i have dreaded blender for years and am only just now familiarizing myself with it "just enough" to get by for makehuman / cloth making purposes. again, any help or tutorials you can point me in the direction of would be awesome.
Attachments
grab_2021-09-26_08.55.32.png
mesh is approx 45k
MatCreator

Postby MatCreator » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:34 pm

much better results with lower polycount. would still like any information on the detailed grouping as you suggested, and any other dos/donts, rules of thumb, best practices lists that may be available...

many thanks =)
Attachments
grab_2021-09-26_10.32.35.png
about 9k polys
MatCreator

Postby joepal » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:47 pm

It's difficult to provide general rules, as it comes down very much to what type of clothing you are making. The recommendations for a hat will be rather different than the ones for tights.

But in general, you should probably try to go for as low a poly count as you can while still having enough to not get very clunky results. A subdivision modifier after export will usually generate better results than if you had twice the density of the geometry in the clothes before export.

As mentioned, in difficult areas you may want to force which vertex on the clothes should be matched with which vertex on the body. This is especially important in areas such as crotch and armpit, where the MHCLO algorithm might otherwise guess wrong. In the armpit, the clothes vertices that should be modified by the arm should belong to a vertex group specific for the arm, while the vertices that should stick to the breast should belong to a breast vertex group.

But here the recommendation is to start with a few generic vertex group (maybe even just "body") and see what happens. Then you can add more detailed vertex groups as and when you see that things end up wrong.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests