Feature request - makehuman data file

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Feature request - makehuman data file

Postby Lord-Lax » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:02 am

Would it be possible to be able to select the location of the default makehuman data file in a future release. By default it reads from c drive, it would be better if I could select another drive as I like to try and keep my OS drive free of such data. If there is a way to alter the path and I have been unable to figure out how to do it I am happy to be taught.

Cheers all, awesome product by the way.
Lord-Lax

Re: Feature request - makehuman data file

Postby Elvaerwyn » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:50 pm

Greetings,
and welcome! This gets kicked around from time to time and the team is aware of the need for some to clear up the C drive, I do this myself tbh! Try the trick found here in this link:
https://superuser.com/questions/284342/ ... r-use-them
This did work for me I have all my files on external drive now!Good luck and always feel free to make more comments and suggestions!
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby Lord-Lax » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:59 pm

Elvaerwyn wrote:Greetings,
and welcome! This gets kicked around from time to time and the team is aware of the need for some to clear up the C drive, I do this myself tbh! Try the trick found here in this link:
https://superuser.com/questions/284342/ ... r-use-them
This did work for me I have all my files on external drive now!Good luck and always feel free to make more comments and suggestions!
Elv

Cheers Elv, I had a good look at the link. I will need to do a bit more research into it I am not strong at that side of computing. I really should spend some time learning more about the tool I use.
We all create the world we live in, choose kindness.
Lord-Lax

Postby Elvaerwyn » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:00 am

My appologies!
the way I accomplished this was to make a small config file and place it in the %localappdata% folder called simply makehuman.conf. Inside this file I simply typed the directory for the data file to be located to in my case G: as my C drive was to stay clean also! This worked on my windows 10 system as of January of this year, lemme know if this works for you!
Elv
Elvaerwyn

Postby Lord-Lax » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:06 am

Elvaerwyn wrote:My appologies!
the way I accomplished this was to make a small config file and place it in the %localappdata% folder called simply makehuman.conf. Inside this file I simply typed the directory for the data file to be located to in my case G: as my C drive was to stay clean also! This worked on my windows 10 system as of January of this year, lemme know if this works for you!
Elv

Okay, so I know where my %localappdata% folder is and I expect my config file made using notepad would be called makehuman.cfg ?? or does it need to be .conf. I have been searching stack overflow but I can't work out what I actually type as the instruction.

Would you be able to copy paste you config text and I will just omit G: for E: ?

Sorry to be a pain.
Lord-Lax

Postby Elvaerwyn » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:31 am

eh np
Elv :D
Attachments
confile.zip
place in %localappdata%
(129 Bytes) Downloaded 279 times
Elvaerwyn

Postby Lord-Lax » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:13 am

Elvaerwyn wrote:eh np
Elv :D

:roll: :o :shock: :lol:

Well there is a new an interesting way to feel like a moron.

Thank you for the help, it is appreciated.
Lord-Lax

Postby Elvaerwyn » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:53 pm

np at all! glad it helped :D
Elv
Elvaerwyn

Postby Aranuvir » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Creating end deleting the makehuman.cfg file can be done under the settings tab (configure home folder), If you don't want any config file (self contained app), you can declare an environment variable "MH_HOME_LOCATION" with the appropriate filepath to your new homefolder. Data has to be copied manually.
Aranuvir

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests