Skin materials not accessible

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Skin materials not accessible

Postby Everret » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:33 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to say that I really love Make Human a lot and wish I had found this software years ago.

So I have been making models and clothes in makeclothes with no problems. One day I open Make Human and the default skin materials (young Caucasian male etc..) aren't available in the material tabs under skin. The skins I have made or downloaded are still there but not the ones that come with Make Human. I looked in my program files and they are still there. I opened a model that uses the default skin materials and it works just fine. For some reason one day I just can't see the default skin materials in the materials tab. Does anyone know how I can refresh the library and make them available again? The default is there but none of the other ones.

Thank you for your time.

I have attached a photo for reference.
Attachments
missing materials.png
Everret

Re: Skin materials not accessible

Postby Everret » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:08 am

Exception during event onActivate
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./core\events3d.py", line 211, in callEvent
method(event)
File "C:\Program Files\makehuman-community\makehuman\plugins\3_libraries_material_chooser.py", line 98, in onActivate
self.reloadMaterialChooser()
File "C:\Program Files\makehuman-community\makehuman\plugins\3_libraries_material_chooser.py", line 189, in reloadMaterialChooser
self.filechooser.refresh()
File "./lib\filechooser.py", line 894, in refresh
super(ListFileChooser, self).refresh()
File "./lib\filechooser.py", line 580, in refresh
self.loadHandler.refresh(files)
File "./lib\filechooser.py", line 459, in refresh
tags = self.library.getTags(filename = file)
File "./lib\filecache.py", line 264, in getTags
metadata = self.getMetadata(filename)
File "./lib\filecache.py", line 240, in getMetadata
self.updateFileCache(self.getSearchPaths() + [os.path.dirname(fileId)], self.getFileExtensions(), False)
File "./lib\filecache.py", line 299, in updateFileCache
self._filecache.update(search_paths, file_extensions, self._get_metadata_callback, remove_old_entries)
File "./lib\filecache.py", line 152, in update
self._cache[fileId] = (mtime,) + getMetadata(filepath)
File "./lib\filecache.py", line 190, in _get_metadata_callback
return self.getMetadataImpl(self.getMetadataFile(filename))
File "C:\Program Files\makehuman-community\makehuman\plugins\3_libraries_material_chooser.py", line 104, in getMetadataImpl
return material.peekMetadata(filename)
File "./shared\material.py", line 1515, in peekMetadata
name = words[1]
IndexError: list index out of range
Everret

Postby joepal » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:06 pm

That's odd. Looking at where it fails in the code, it seems that either a skin file name or a skin tag causes a problem when being listed.

My first suggestion on debugging this is to see if something amongst the downloaded files is causing this. You should have a directory c:\users\[your user name]\documents\makehuman\v1py3\data. Can you (with makehuman closed) try to rename this to, for example, "data.bak" and then start makehuman to see if the bundled skins appear again?

If they do appear, I'd like to see a screenshot of where you have opened c:\users\[your user name]\documents\makehuman\v1py3\data\skins (after having changed data.bak back to "data").
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Everret » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:08 pm

Hey thanks so much for getting back to me. I ended up fixing the problem and I'll list my steps.
1.) I moved all of the skins folders out of my documents
2.) That made it so all the default skins showed.
3.) I separated my skins by date modified and put the oldest ones back in the folder.
4.) Make Human worked as normal
5.) I put the next group of skin folders back into my documents.
6.) Make Human had a problem.
7.) I removed those last skin folders.
8.) I looked into each folder to see what was different. One folder had several material (recipes? idk how to refer to them) that I had made one night while I was experimenting with the material editor. I deleted these extra recipes.
9.) I put those folders back into my documents.
10.) Make human worked as normal.
Everret

Postby joepal » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:22 pm

Good that it got resolved. I'm still kind of curious why it happened in the first place though. MH should obviously not break on a faulty material.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests