Enable Face Bones button in MPFB

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Enable Face Bones button in MPFB

Postby Geoff » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 am

While using the MPFB plugin I clicked the Sync with MH button to bring in a character pose from MH but on arrival the face was distorted so I clicked the Face button in Amputations and it came in correctly. I am now unable to re enable the Face button. Finding no configuration option for this feature I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin but still the Face button is disabled. What is the procedure to get this feature back?
Thanks.
Geoff

Re: Enable Face Bones button in MPFB

Postby jcpalmer » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:35 pm

As the name implies, amputations are permanent. Amputations were added primarily for game dev / exporting to a real time rendering environment, where many extra bones are that are not being used is just a performance drag. There are also maybe 50 bones for hands that can sometimes go as well. Manually deleting bones causes problems for Blender exporters, since the matrix weights are not reset to the first bone NOT deleted that way.

I think in some poses that there must be some face poses changes or the order in which things occur on the MH side, causes problems changing poses, & transferring expressions when not standing. I tried and could never expressions to work no matter the pose, especially 'Flying'.

One workflow which you may try is getting all the expressions you need across early & put into shapekeys, then ditch the face & or finger bones. That way, you could get into an expression, later independent of any poses or head bones. Syncpose is tolerant of bones that are no longer present.
  • Transfer model standing up. Expressions transfer best then.
  • Remove any modifiers which change vertices, (subsurf, hide face). They prohibit shapekey creation.
  • Uncheck 'No Location Translation' to get the best expressions. It is an old option, which probably should change default or even be eliminated in future.
  • Transfer expressions to shapekeys.
  • Amputate head.
jcpalmer

Re: Enable Face Bones button in MPFB

Postby Geoff » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:45 pm

While I understand that amputations are permanent for a model, unless of course one uses the undo key Ctrl Z, it appears that if you save the blend file with the face bones amputated when you bring another model into the saved blend file then the Face button is disabled meaning that not only are the bones amputated from the model but also the ability to use the button is amputated from the software. On the Settings tab of MPFB there does not appear to be the option to restore default settings.

Thank you for your notes on how to work with expressions but I was working with limb poses but so many of the models came in from MH with deformed faces and deformed hands that I was experimenting with the software to see if the models would come in with normal faces and then I saved the blend file not realising that I would be unable to get the default settings back again.

When I realised that the setting was only disabled in the one blend file, rather than go looking for the needle in the haystack, it was easier to create a new pose blend file and append all of my pose libraries to the new file. Lesson learned.
Geoff

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests