Forum search issue

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Forum search issue

Postby HunanbeanCollective » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:10 pm

There is an issue trying to search the forum for common subjects.
I tried to search for Hair, the search told me, to common so it was rejected. ok, that is understandable. so i tried further queries. I gave up when i typed 'how to make hair tutorial' and it decided that, that was to general.
so pretty much it seems, unless you use google to directly search the forum, you are kind of out of luck trying to find what you are looking for.
HunanbeanCollective

Re: Forum search issue

Postby punkduck » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:36 pm

I dunno but best results would exist, if the articles are tagged. Afaik we can't tag a forum article. Normally this also means moderation. This we only do in the documentation itself.

For your special case hair: there are typically two ways:
  • for mesh hair (hair from geometry) we had not really tutorials in here afaik. The way is to make the hair like clothes and to use some special techniques, like e.g. creating only a few rows of quads for the hair, then texture these rows and work on with copies of the these. Or take a double row of quads in v-shape (because otherwise there is one position where thickness is zero). Or working with very fine textures on outer layers to simulate volume. Honestly YouTube has some good examples. Especially for games it is the only way atm. But there are also examples of high quality mesh-hair in the net used in beautiful renders.
  • for strandhair we had a discussion long ago, it is partly outdated and with the knowledge of today I can do it better. http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13734

For the clothes I want to add some common methods and tricks and link that to the documentation I already started. Also about texturing. I already explained that in forum, but I think it would be better to have that in a documentation wiki-like with a few links. Not everyone is interested in details, but if you are, you can follow the link.

Maybe we can find some other people to add their ideas then also.
And maybe I can do one for hair also.

Btw.: a documentation is not an easy job. My perspective is different from a beginners perspective, so it could be, that I have to add some more common stuff. And then we have the experts, they will ask other questions. So we need feedback. Some people can do a good job in YouTube, I am typical not doing this, but hopefully others do that. For a quick overview it is good and there are also excellent tutorials.

But sometimes an article is better, I had to rewind a video about a material like 20 times to understand what people are doing. So best is, to do a good documentation also here in forum.

For other things like how many people already complained "that real people have genitals", tags would be needed. This will definitely not part of a documentation :mrgreen:
punkduck

Re: Forum search issue

Postby HunanbeanCollective » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:52 pm

lol, great reply, thank you :D

I agree with the notion of text/photo over video. I am in the process of writing tutorials on using the viseme system i created after i semi gave up on making youtube videos about it.
Since i am basically a newbie with MakeHuman, perhaps i can jot some things down as i am learning and contribute to some documentation in the end.
I just yesterday figured out how to make clothes :? But i am very impressed at the lack of limitations on what the system allows me to create. I feared i would be locked in to a specific vertex count or something similar. Thankfully, no such restrictions.

Thanks again for the reply and information.
be well!
HunanbeanCollective

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests