MakeClothes2 -- losing its mind

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

MakeClothes2 -- losing its mind

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Here is a simple summer dress (1970s vintage and similar to one my wife wore when we were dating) that I created in blender.

In imported the hm08-ext human mesh, copied the tights helper and the skirt helper, deleted the human and modeled away. Imported a hm08 mesh and used it to create the clothing. Here is what it looked like in blender

summer-dress-in-blender.png

Ran MakeClothes2 and here is what it looks like in MakeHuman.

summer-dress-in-makehuman.png

I seem to remember someone else running into this... what do?
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Re: MakeClothes2 -- losing its mind

Postby punkduck » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:39 pm

SaltyCowdawg wrote:Here is a simple summer dress (1970s vintage and similar to one my wife wore when we were dating) that I created in blender.

In imported the hm08-ext human mesh, copied the tights helper and the skirt helper, deleted the human and modeled away. Imported a hm08 mesh and used it to create the clothing. Here is what it looked like in blender

summer-dress-in-blender.png

Ran MakeClothes2 and here is what it looks like in MakeHuman.

summer-dress-in-makehuman.png

I seem to remember someone else running into this... what do?

It could be an apply rotation and scale problem but it could also be a wrong vertex order of the base mesh. Yes, this was the reason why added a new (and still hidden) feature. But you can easily activate it. Best way is to load the latest version of makeclothes if not already done,

Then read this text, please:
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Documentation:ClothesV2

this section:
"Load a predefined human"

look at the lines on the yellow ground. Download the zip file and place unzipped files in the folder mentioned. After that it is a one-click action to get a prepared basemesh. That's how Elv and I work atm. Internally the chosen mesh is simply appended from a normal blend file.

I will send a PM this time. :)
punkduck

Postby jpujolar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Hello,

Anyone has managed to get Makeclothes2 to work within the new Blender 2.9?

Somehow the function to insert the helpers mesh seems not to work. It inserts a kind of a "zero" object. A mesh called "clothes" appears in the outliner; which even has a vertex group called HelperGeometry; but it is null and void.

Joan
jpujolar

Postby jpujolar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Answer to SaltyCowdawg: ...I seem to remember someone else running into this... what do?[/quote]

It happened to me. My solution was to create the new clothing from scratch following this tutorial's instructions (downloading the helpers mesh and deleting whatever was not needed):

https://youtu.be/1rLmp5v2cXA

But now I find that Makeclothes2 does not seem to work in the new Blender 2.9.

Best,

Joan
jpujolar

Postby Elvaerwyn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:44 am

Can you perhaps be a little more specific please, Joan? Will it not load at all or is the problem in the functionality? I have loaded it and managed to port a couple of objects thusfar since 2.9 now.
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby jpujolar » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:44 am

Elvaerwyn wrote:Can you perhaps be a little more specific please, Joan? Will it not load at all or is the problem in the functionality? I have loaded it and managed to port a couple of objects thusfar since 2.9 now.

OK. I'll tell you exactly what I do, as it makes a short trajectory. The plugins seem to be active alright and appear on the right-hand side of Blender's layout view as usual.

I go to makehuman tab
click settings
change presets from default to MakeClothes
click load (blue feedback underneath confirming OK)
click mesh
click import human (MakeHuman is already open; I have opened it but done nothing with it). The default human figure is loaded, including polyeyes

Now I go to Makeclothes2
I click the human figure and the "extract clothes" button displays brighter
I click "extract clothes" and a small window opens
In "extract", I pick "Helpers" and then click OK.

There is half a second lapse, Blender creates a "clothes" entry in the Outliner but nothing appears
If I click the "clothes" entry in the outliner, I can see one vertex group called "Helper Geometry." But otherwise, there is only the human figure, and there is nothing underneath it, as nothing appears if I "unview" the human (click H).

I have also tried to do the same with one variation, just adding a detail: clicking "Mark as Human" before hitting "extract clothes."

Later I have realized that eyes, hair and skirt and genitals work OK. Body does not work but "tights" generates a body (all covered except head and and hands). Helpers does not work.
Last edited by jpujolar on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpujolar

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:47 am

It seems that extracting all helpers currently fails (that's an unexpected behavior, or more precise a bug). However you can extract the helpers on your own. Simply delete the mask modifiers and extract whatever helper geometry you want.
BTW, though the helpers might be useful as a template for clothes, this is not their original purpose they were created for, and they are not necessarily the best for that use case.
Aranuvir

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:04 am

Just as a side note: I've created a bug report: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/c ... /issues/12.
Last edited by Aranuvir on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Aranuvir

Postby jpujolar » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:58 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Just as a site notice, I've created a bug report: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/c ... /issues/12.

Thanks for the bug report. I am sure you have expressed it better.
jpujolar

Postby punkduck » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi

Although if it does not really make sense to use the full helper as a base for the clothes the software should indeed work. Normally the tights or skirt will be used in most cases. Sometimes maybe also eyelashes or eyes. Maybe tongue. But the complete helper? Nevertheless it is possible now.

So I already did the fix. There had been some problems until yesterday, It crashed blender completely, when a mesh was imported the second time, but that's also fixed. This time it was not that dangerous. You got an empty mesh. It is valid for blender but did not do much ;)

Greetings
punkduck
punkduck

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests