import clothes file in makeclothes2 has no vertex groups

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

import clothes file in makeclothes2 has no vertex groups

Postby myxibrium » Fri May 29, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi there!

I'm trying to make a custom low-poly proxy. I'm trying to import an existing proxy as a base. I don't really care which one I use, but I downloaded this one: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/proxy ... model.html

I renamed the .proxy file to .mhclo and tried to import it into blender using the "Import Clothes File" button on the "MakeClothes2" Blender plugin.

Without making any changes, I attempt to click the "Make Clothes" button. However, it can't make clothes because it doesn't have any vertex groups.

The same thing happens if I use the "Import Human" button and import the obj file. Then, using the "Check Human" feature I get the same error - no vertex groups.

Am I doing something wrong? I assumed that if I imported some existing model or clothing that I could make small adjustments and then just re-export and use it.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
myxibrium

Re: import clothes file in makeclothes2 has no vertex groups

Postby punkduck » Fri May 29, 2020 8:36 pm

No there is just a step missing. MakeHuman does not know vertex groups, so blender needs help.

Well, one example might be: go into blender edit mode, throw away e.g. existent groups on your original body first, Then create a group "proxy" on human and a group with the same name on your proxy, Set weight to one (normally predefined) and assign all vertices on human and also all vertices on proxy to the group.

proxy.png
should look like this ...
proxy.png (22.35 KiB) Viewed 5771 times

Then each vertex from "proxy" group of your proxy searches for three vertices of the "proxy" group of your human.

I should do a tutorial soon. But the time is rather limited atm. :?
punkduck

Postby myxibrium » Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi punkduck!

Thanks for your response! I tried what you suggested, however I am getting an error:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\makeclothes\operators\createclothes.py", line 104, in execute
(b, hint) = mc.make()
File "C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\makeclothes\core_makeclothes_functionality.py", line 189, in make
self.findBestFaces()
File "C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\makeclothes\core_makeclothes_functionality.py", line 322, in findBestFaces
for polygon in self.humanmesh.vertPolygons[vertIdx]:
KeyError: -1

myxibrium

Postby myxibrium » Sat May 30, 2020 12:24 am

I made some adjustments to the mesh and was finally able to get it to generate without error. But the mesh data has gotten all garbled somehow. This is what it looks like when I try to load it as clothing in Makehuman. I've also tried loading it as a proxy and it looks the same as this. But when I load the OBJ file it looks fine.
not-working.PNG
myxibrium

Postby jwc » Sat May 30, 2020 8:47 pm

You were able to make the clothing, so that rules out several common problems.

One option that comes to mind is scaling.
Are you using consistent units between Blender and MakeHuman, and have all the meshes at 1.0 scale?
This can cause this problem because the clothing vertices get displaced at much larger offsets.

Another option involves the vertices selected from the human mesh for the matching vertex group.
Are all the the clothing mesh vertices located near human vertices that are included in the corresponding human vertex group?
If they are not close and included, the clothing will get distorted trying to follow incorrect offsets.

You could try a simple piece of clothing, like just a band, to see how the vertices are being changed, if neither of these options help.
jwc

Postby punkduck » Sat May 30, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi,

The traceback error should be fixed meanwhile, it happened when you had empty groups on your clothes (see Blender Thread).

I am pretty sure the vertex enumeration of your base mesh is different to the real one or has changed. Depending on how the mesh is imported into blender the result can create odd objects.

You can use mhx2 export (best without skeleton then), but then you only have the body, if you need the helper mesh you can use wavefront export including the helper. When using obj format make sure that the vertex numbers are kept when you import it in Blender.

You cannot use a proxy and you cannot use a subdivided (smoothed) MakeHuman mesh.

I know this is not yet 100% satisfying yet and also a good tutorial is missing. I started with that on my private box and then I will replace the old one soon (or simply do a second one),

Furthermore I will do a blend file in the next time with some of the proxies, with and without helpers and also t-posed + a special one with shape-keys for heels. I guess we need this. Maybe I can also fully integrate it, so that you can select your mesh with one button.

Atm you only have the methods above and afaik also the possibilty with the MPFB (socket communication between MakeHuman and Blender). I mostly load prepared meshes from a blend file.

Greetings
punkduck
punkduck

Postby myxibrium » Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks for the help!

I finally got it working (just fiddling around with it long enough!) and shared my creation: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/proxy ... erior.html

Will most likely post some clothing next.
myxibrium

Postby punkduck » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Well there is a need that we will support another method to get a valid base mesh. I programmed it the last two days. Okay I used old blender ... but I need it there first, the new blender I will do this week, I promise ;)

I am working on a solution with a bunch of predefined base meshes (they will be placed in some blend-files). This will be a quick solution to load them by just pressing one button.

So 2.79 is already working. Doing the code for the 2.80 is not a big difference, but I was too lazy to create the meshes yet. (Most of them are cubes for the demo picture :mrgreen: ) But all this will happen the next days. :lol:

I need this btw. because I always forget where I put my predefined meshes atm ... :?

So here is the screenshot ...

loadpredefinedmeshes.png
punkduck

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests