Getting Asymmetry Where I Shouldn't

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Getting Asymmetry Where I Shouldn't

Postby Ambaryerno » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:16 am

I'm not entirely sure when this happened. The mesh started out fine, but now suddenly I've got some asymmetry that I can't account for, and unfortunately I can't even recall WHEN exactly it happened:

Asymmetry.PNG

The left arm is correct, the right is not. I tried applying Left to Right mirror, double-checked all of my targets, both stock and custom, and even switched to different Topologies. I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it, and I absolutely don't want to have to completely rebuild the model. If I do create a new model, the symmetry is correct so it's something that has happened along the way. I certainly could fix it in Blender by simply mirroring the left side, but I'm currently having problems syncing between Blender and MH (that's the subject of another thread).

It also shows up in the skeleton, in particular the circled bone:

SkeletonAsymmetry.PNG

However I've also tried changing to different rigs and none of THOSE make a difference, either.

I'm using MH 1.2.X.
Ambaryerno

Re: Getting Asymmetry Where I Shouldn't

Postby RobBaer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:12 pm

This is the first report of this type that I can remember. The skeleton that actually deforms the model is always the default skeleton, and the other skeletons are accommodated accordingly, so it is unlikely that changing skeleton is a fix.

I am wondering if you could have inadvertently applied a (custom) pose that could be inducing this behavior?
RobBaer

Postby Ambaryerno » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:05 pm

I'd thought about that and tried applying some of the stock poses to see what happens. In some cases it seems to fix the asymmetry, however when I set using the T-Pose you can still see it in the shape of the arm:

TPoseAsymmetry.PNG

I did notice this from the top down:

TPoseTop.PNG

It appears as if the upper arm and possibly the shoulder are rotated or twisted towards the back a bit, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the actual proportions themselves. However it's ONLY affecting the arm upper arm; the forearm and hand appear to be rotated normally.

Can a custom pose be applying on top of other poses, and is there a way to forcibly clear any custom pose that might have been applied? I've looked through all the menus and am not seeing anywhere to do this.
Ambaryerno

Postby Ambaryerno » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:48 am

Anyone else have any suggestions on this one, other than manually fixing it in Blender? I need to correct this before I start modeling clothing on the upper body, since that could throw off Cloth Weaver.
Ambaryerno

Postby punkduck » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:31 am

Hi

If one of the targets is moving the small cubes inside the body then the bones are also moved. This could work as designed but also create problems,

The small cubes are the start and end points of the bones. This would be my proposal. If you look into the (uncompressed) target files, all lines starting with numbers 13606 up to 14597 would do that. I just checked and I found some custom targets doing that :(

The reason could be: people used blender with proportional editing enabled ... the correct way without influencing the cubes is to use it with proportional editing in mode "connected".

Targets often look simple. Typically people (me too) forget to change the helper targets, so skin bleeds through the clothes in the end. But if you change the helper, only move these tiny cubes when it is necessary ;)
punkduck

Postby Ambaryerno » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 pm

I never touched the helper cubes, nor did I make any changes to the mesh in Blender. Unless you're saying one of the custom targets I used may have changed something. However as I noted in the OP I reviewed every one, and none of them affect the arm in this way.
Ambaryerno

Postby pepo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:35 pm

This is a bug in a measure target, see https://github.com/makehumancommunity/m ... /issues/61
pepo

Postby punkduck » Sat May 09, 2020 6:47 pm

Aranuvir and I, we are working on scripts examining the targets. Some of the targets will not produce symmetry (e.g. when they move bodyparts from left to right etc) but most should do that of course.

What I know is that the measure bust circum target from issue 61 is not changing joints but that target is really not symmetrical of course ... we both try to fix that for the beta1 ...
punkduck

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests