python makehuman.py - No module named sip

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

python makehuman.py - No module named sip

Postby james_zorb_66 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi, I am running makehuman from source on Ubuntu 18.04 (I have also tried running via the PPA, I get the same error). Every time I try to run makehuman.py, I get the 'no sip' error - see traceback below.
I DO have sip installed, sip (4.19.12) via 'pip list' ('which python' returns usr/bin/python).

I also see that when running makehuman.py it does find SYS.EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/python

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "makehuman.py", line 832, in <module>
main()
File "makehuman.py", line 822, in main
from mhmain import MHApplication
File "./core/mhmain.py", line 45, in <module>
import mh
File "./lib/mh.py", line 50, in <module>
from qtui import Keys, Buttons, Modifiers, Application
File "./lib/qtui.py", line 42, in <module>
from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui, QtOpenGL
ImportError: No module named sip

Any help would be great!!
james_zorb_66

Re: python makehuman.py - No module named sip

Postby RobBaer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:48 pm

You don't give quite enough information that I can be sure since I don't regularly run Linux, but I think the ppa you are talking about is out of date since it is referring to qt4. I would recommend downloading the source from http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Releases:120a4.

This release is labeled alpha, but it is quite stable and has many bug fixes. It is based on qt5 (which may fix the sip issue) and python3 rather than python 2.7 and qt4. It is much more likely to run well on 18.04 than an old ppa. Just remember to start it from python3. The assets will be in ~/Documents/makehuman/v1py3 instead of ~/Documents/makehuman/v1
RobBaer

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests