How Makehuman works for me

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

How Makehuman works for me

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:39 am

I've had a blast with Makehuman. The people are helpful and friendly, the application is fun, I like posting pictures and stuff, but I'm still having major problems. I read the FAQ, and Punkduck explained to me once about how to add new items, but it's still not working right. This is the Mars suit. I've downloaded this repeatedly to make an alien character, but this is what happens.
grab_2020-02-01_01.05.00.png
This is the croptop and some kind of chainmail underwear. Mine looks like something out of Clive Barker's darkest nightmares.
grab_2020-02-01_01.10.08.png
I have countless "missing" textures. I put missing in quotes because I have the proper files for all of this.
grab_2020-02-01_01.11.06.png
Even with Punkduck's advice, I still have missing skins. On the plus side, I can now save the working skins to my characters but on the downside, I have a lot less to use now. Dog skin, demon skin, cow skin, or anything with the word "genitals" in it doesn't work at all.
grab_2020-02-01_01.12.02.png
I have the same problem with eyes, but to a lesser extent. Most of the eyes work except for dog and alien 1.
grab_2020-02-01_01.09.07.png
I also have a problem with the female genitals resetting to the default instead of adult female 2020 healed. If I had one female, it wouldn't be so bad but I have probably around 20 or 30 different female characters. All are anatomically correct except Thunderella which uses the female muscle proxy instead. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Makehuman at least two times this week just to get it to run normally.
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BaronVonGott

Re: How Makehuman works for me

Postby punkduck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:25 pm

If you need the mars-suit you need to do more,

Grinsegold wrote: "Gender slider set to full male recommended (sorry, sisters).", this means that also the inbetween male/female will not work. This mesh was created on a so-called rigid group, that means only 3 vertices are used to determine size and then everything keeps in the same scale. it will not resize according to the targets (sliders in MH).

I did some effort with some tricks to get one of my female characters into that dress, so it works, but of course is not a one-click option:

http://makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14598&p=40251

Missing textures are a problem. I try to avoid that by testing all uploads if the pathes are relative in these files. But hey, does c:\<mein_benutzername>\ not work on every station around the globe and we all have Windows with a C: partition of course? ... no ... :o I found even www-pages with paths like that. :roll:

Honestly the team will not really do a censorship or other kinds of moderation for the assets. These are user created ones. Some are good and really a lot of work. Some might not work. At least it takes a lot of time to do your own. There are technical limits which we cannot avoid. Just an example: If you load everything you have 200 tags I guess ... it would be good if we, the team, change these tags so it makes more sense ...

It took me some years to know enough internals about blender and MH, so that I am able to say, what is possible with the software and where the limits are. For some of the limits we can only say: use MH as the base, do the rest in Blender.
punkduck

Re: How Makehuman works for me

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:39 pm

It's so many though. I know they must work because I see other people using these items. I keep seeing green people with Hulk skin, but it doesn't work at all on mine. Neither does duck skin, wood, demon, dragon, tanlines, or most others. I used your advice to put the skins in documents/v1/skins but now I have less of them. It did solve the saving problem. I can now save the skins to the characters, but less of them work. And how do you stop the female genitals from resetting to default? Also, clothing items that used to work, don't work anymore. I used to be able to use braces on their teeth, and the slave collars, but these items no longer work. Every character I made has error messages when I load them.
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BaronVonGott

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests