Bug fixes? New features?

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Bug fixes? New features?

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:40 pm

I had some questions about the new update to Makehuman. Is the bug with the male chest going to be fixed in the update? Also is it possible to add a feature where the character's eyeballs stay removed? I have some skeleton characters and Makehuman automatically adds default brown eyes to them whenever I load the file. Can't I remove them like hair, teeth, or eyebrows? Lastly, I had a suggestion about community content. Is it possible to put all working community created clothes, skins, and hair in a zip file with simple instructions on how to add them to Makehuman? Call it something like: "Community Pack Vol 1" or something. This would be helpful to new people and they can have the option to either download the zip to get them all, or they can download them the old way piece by piece. I'd put them in folders like "New hair", "new clothes", etc and type simple notepad instructions in the zip with the correct paths. Ex: documents/Makehuman/v1...
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BaronVonGott

Re: Bug fixes? New features?

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:55 pm

I'd also add the new poses, facial expressions, and targets in the zip file too. All the working community stuff in one zip file. Then you guys could do Community Pack 2, Community Pack 3, etc in the future. Doom used to do this with their community made maps and weapons. Why not do it in Makehuman with community content? Your new people would probably love the option to get everything all at once.
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BaronVonGott

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:22 pm

BaronVonGott wrote:Also is it possible to add a feature where the character's eyeballs stay removed?

Unless I'm missing something here once you import your character in Blender it is fairly trivial to remove any asset that has been attached to the avatar you want gone.

I do this all the time when I am mucking about with particle hair and want the mesh hair out of my way.

In Blender 2.8x go to the view layers tree and select the item you want gone. Right click for the pop up menu and select Delete or Delete Hierarchy to make it go "bye-bye."
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:22 pm

I downloaded Blender, but I haven't figured out how to use it. I have a laptop, and I read something about I need to have a mouse with a scroll wheel. I'm still getting the hang of Makehuman as well.
BaronVonGott

Postby loki1950 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:05 am

Check the blender site there are lots of how-to videos that familiarise you with the new 2.8 version then there are literally thousands on YouTube though most are for previous blender versions exercise your Google Fu. A mouse is much more productive as you will be selecting points.lines or faces and the touch pad just does not have the needed resolution.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby BaronVonGott » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:15 am

So it is possible to run Blender on a laptop? I just need an external mouse? I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use it at all without a PC.
BaronVonGott

Postby loki1950 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:55 am

No problem on a laptop but blender is a bit of a memory hog :shock: but if you have fast cpu and lots of RAM no real issues apart from slow viewpoint updates and slow renders too as that's very memory/cpu bound runs quite well on my laptop check my sig for it's details and any old mouse you have on hand should be fine though I use a nice little M$ wireless one on the laptop and it runs faster under Linux than Windows as Linux has less OS overhead and a better task scheduler in it's kernel,also feel free to ask questions here as you've found we don't bite newbies ;) so you can climb the leaning curve(sometimes it feels like a cliff) till you finally grok it.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby BaronVonGott » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:14 am

I might not have a problem with my laptop. I'm not really sure what the specs of it are, I have practically no computer knowledge. I'm surprised I made it this far. I had all the clothes and skins in the wrong folders, and a lot of stuff still doesn't work quite right. I don't use the laptop memory for much anyway. I think it's got about a gigabyte of space and I only have Makehuman, Doom, and about a thousand MP4 movies and films. I don't think it takes up too much space, but I don't know how big Blender is or what it's capable of. I just know you can make clothes and animations. I have no clue what else it does. This is a helpful and positive community. I notice no one really complains about anything here unless it's something broken like a missing texture or something.
BaronVonGott

Postby loki1950 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:34 pm

When I was speaking about memory I meant RAM not hard drive capacity programs are run in memory not the hard drive ;) and various programs use memory differently blender uses lots of memory as each point in the mesh must be kept in memory as the program manipulates the whole mesh using several mathematical algorithms to deform and rotate the viewport( 3D space) so more Ram is good most computers currently have between 4 and 32 Gb but 32 is very rare both my laptop and desktop have 8 Gb.

loki1950

Postby BaronVonGott » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:40 pm

I kinda understand. I've seen people use Blender, and I know it distorts the mesh so you can sculpt and edit it. It just seemed extremely complicated. The memory might be a problem if I put a lot of characters on-screen at the same time though, right? Like a simple two character fight scene would lag less than say a villain addressing about twenty of his or her henchmen? More animation and more characters equals more lag basically?
BaronVonGott

Next

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests