MH can't seem to find downloaded expressions

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Re: MH can't seem to find downloaded expressions

Postby AssetDK » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:26 am

Just see this and I am trying to, but I get a permission error when accessing the eyes_up_right_mouth_slight.mhpose folder, according to my search this is because .mhpose indicates that this is a file and not a folder... has anyone had this problem, can I simply rename the folders, will they work in MH afterwords?
AssetDK

Postby RobBaer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:33 pm

AssetDK wrote:Just see this and I am trying to, but I get a permission error when accessing the eyes_up_right_mouth_slight.mhpose folder, according to my search this is because .mhpose indicates that this is a file and not a folder... has anyone had this problem, can I simply rename the folders, will they work in MH afterwords?

User poses ARE files with the .mhpose extension. MH expects to find these files in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\makehuman\v1py3\data\poses on Windows and I think ~/Documents/makehuman/v1py3/data/poses on other OSes. Is that where you are putting them?
RobBaer

Postby AssetDK » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:49 am

RobBaer wrote:... Is that where you are putting them?

Thanks - The specific files that is looked at are in C:\Users\user\Documents\makehuman\v1py3\data\expressions in that folder (directory) I see tree folders with .mhpose in the names. The program try to open the folder as files giving an error. (I will try to rename the folders and see if it will break MH. )

Expressions-folder.png
Expressions-folder.png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 5147 times
AssetDK

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:57 am

If you get a permission denied error, I'd try to edit the file permissions instead of the file names. Just my 2¢. In case there are other errors, please post them.
Aranuvir

Postby AssetDK » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:38 am

Aranuvir wrote:If you get a permission denied error, I'd try to edit the file permissions instead of the file names. Just my 2¢. In case there are other errors, please post them.

I tried that, and the permissions are OK. The problem is well known and I would call it a bug in in the operating system(!), the "permission" part is very misleading, as the problem is that you try to open a file, using a reference to a folder. You are not allowed to do that, but not because you don't have the permission. :ugeek: (The guys that made this addon for Makehuman are not to blame, but they could take precautions to prevent this odd error. The Makehuman code seems to do just that... )

Anyways renaming the folders solved the problem, in the Blender addon - and restarting Makehuman shows that there is no problem there either. I got It working! :D
AssetDK

Postby AssetDK » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:33 am

Well I got the expression to shape key transfer working, and these are the steps needed:

• In case you have downloaded custom expressions you need to rename the folders with .mhpose in their names! (see posts above for details).
  • Open Makehuman and Blender, ensure that they can communicate/link.
  • Load any(?) character and set the skeleton to default
  • Uncheck the 'No Location translation' ceckbox - I wonder what that does?
  • Now import the character to Blender, go to object mode and apply the two modifiers ('Toggle helper visibility' and 'Hide faces') to the body mesh.
  • Sometimes you need to "click around" on the Outliner, to select the correct object....
  • The 'Transfer' button should now be active and the 'Shape keys' are default - so hit the button - and wait... until the button turns gray.

It looks like all expressions will transfer correctly to the mesh, and they will even transfer to the body parts (if you imported them!) I am not sure if you can "merge" the various meshes/shape keys together, like you can do it in MHX2 import... but perhaps someone here can explain how this can be used.

In case you need the same shape keys for an other character, with another skeleton, you can find the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zBlaedkkVs -for that to work the meshes must be similar, and close together.

Doing it with MHX2 import!
I just tested this out and it seems like the part about the default skeleton is the operative part to make this work. I managed to export my base character, as-is but with the default skeleton, the
  • Set your characters skeleton to the default!
  • Export in MHX2 format
  • In Blender, Import the skeleton using the 'MHX2 runtime' import addon - set it up to merge the body and proxy!
  • In the Makehuman addon you can now 'transfer' the expressions - and it looks like all parts of the mesh is correct...

Export for import with MHX2
I do not yet know if my new MakeShapes addon will work with these shapes... but perhaps it will and perhaps I can even make it merge the shapes between different meshes? :P

If that is the case the expressions can be added to the faceshapes that are added when you import MHX2. That is, they can be added for any skeleton and reused for all your characters...
AssetDK

Postby AssetDK » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:49 am

jcpalmer wrote:The default skeleton must be used for expression transfer. .... Finally, if your character is just standing / looking forward, you will get more accurate expressions, un-checking `No Location Translation'.

As seen I got this working fine, and as from the "permission error", it looks like the custom expressions are somehow processed... but they were not added as shape keys. (I am working on an other addon, but I may try to look into what is going wrong.. unless you beat me to it. )
AssetDK

Previous

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests