Kinect Vs Intel Realsense

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Kinect Vs Intel Realsense

Postby DrHas » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:58 am

Hi everyone, firstly thanks to the code writers of Makehuman. I've only been using said software since about late February...but it already has become a must have in my digital art making collection. I'm not sure of the posting rules on this forum...but this is what I created with my Makehuman digital actors, which is what I like to call them https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsSm2OvH_zG-gYEeI-jg8lm9LTR_Ug And yes, I did everything...including all the music, sfxs and animation :). I'm actually working on a Arthurian grail legend animation for a sonata I completed last year :), which is only possible because someone keeps making fantastic clothes for Makehuman. And finally, while I'm here and doing the whole thank you jive...it's great to see Makehuman progress to the next level so to speak, particularly if you'd been reading that the software was on the way out. The digital actors you can make with MH are incredible - it's the aesthetic...most 3d human avatars look like children's toons. With MH, you can sculpt pretty realistic avatars :).

Now, for the feature request, which could really be a please explain and then please think about Intel Realsense :). So, I read that there is going to be some sort of Kinect feature in the next version of MH...I would suspect that this would be for some type of BVH or control mechanism yes? If this is the case, wouldn't it be more future proof, and indeed useful if the writers changed this to Intel Realsense? I have one of these for a start lol, but if Kinect has been discontinued, which I just checked to see if this was the case...because I thought I'd read that there was going to be a revival...it would make sense to write any control mechanism and make it use Intel Realsense? For one, even though my Intel Realsense is only the S3000 model, the next version up can I believe track a wider field...so pretty much like Kinect. There is also a lot more support for Intel Realsense...at least I would have thought than for a discontinued Kinect?

I know there are plenty of control types of software out there to create animation, and of which can be imported into Blender, for example fclone for facial control only...which is all I'm really after at the moment. NI Mate doesn't work, I tried that...and it was stuck with Kinect again. I also know that Blender has its own motion capture add on...but I already do too much, composer, musician, moving image artist, visual fx artist, photographer, art historian...mad genius, much like Byron or 'mad bad and dangerous to know' lol, and I hate stopping the production like so to speak - just so I can go back and learn rigging. This is where I got stuck last time, I've worked out how to attach BVH files to MH models...badly, and I'm a pretty good keyframe animator...I think you will find if you watch my link https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsSm2OvH_zG-gYEeI-jg8lm9LTR_Ug The Incredible Bulk ;) that I can make my digital actors emote really well...but if I can skip the translation stage of keyframe acting, and just do the acting myself...anyway I think you get the drift :).

Thanks again.

PS...can someone put a h onto my handel...it's supposed to be Dr.Hash...not Dr.Has lol. ADHD...I don't see things sometimes.

Ben
DrHas

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests