Eyes not moving in blender on Sync with MH

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Eyes not moving in blender on Sync with MH

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Is it an expected behavior that the eyes don't move with the body when doing a sync with MH when using an imported toon?
If I use Make Clothes to create the toon in Blender it seems to create a single object, judging by the Blender outliner, and the eyes move as the mesh is adjusted, but if I export a toon from MakeHuman and import it into blender the eyes appear in the outliner as a separate object and don't get moved when syncing with MH.
Is it more generally the case that only the body mesh gets synced? So you can't have clothes on the toon for example. I tried having clothes and it didn't work, but who knows if I'm doing something wrong.

It is quite nice to be able to have a blender window in which one can immediately see what the toon will look like with perspective and lighting and high quality rendering etc. It's very nice even if it is just the body mesh, but of course it would be even nicer if it worked with eyes and clothes etc. and I don't want to assume it doesn't when I might be doing something wrong.

And this is not a request, just a question, would it be difficult to also be able to sync the pose in the other direction, i.e. sync the makehuman pose to what you have in Blender. I don't have any need for that currently but I'm curious.

Thanks,
Lindsay
blindsaypatten

Re: Eyes not moving in blender on Sync with MH

Postby joepal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:17 am

Yes, it's expected. Only the body mesh as such is synced atm. So the sync mesh functionality is of very limited use on toons that are equipped with clothes, eyes, hair, rigs etc.

I still think it's the right way to go though. My vision is a fully integrated sync functionality where clothes, rigs, textures and so on can be updated directly against MH without the need to re-export.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Eyes not moving in blender on Sync with MH

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:18 pm

joepal wrote:Yes, it's expected. Only the body mesh as such is synced atm. So the sync mesh functionality is of very limited use on toons that are equipped with clothes, eyes, hair, rigs etc.

I still think it's the right way to go though. My vision is a fully integrated sync functionality where clothes, rigs, textures and so on can be updated directly against MH without the need to re-export.

I don't know the API but if you can request the vertices for an object by name it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to either sync the active object in blender based on the name, or even cycle through the objects in blender and try a sync for each one. Again without knowing the API it seems like rigs and textures and actually changing clothes etc. could be a lot more complicated.

Hmm, I wonder how hard it would be, since the underlying code already exists, to be able to use the socket to get an mhx2 export and then automatically import it, just by pressing a button in blender. That would take care of changing clothes, poses, materials, etc.

Anyway, as is, I found it very useful where I'm tweaking the body mesh so the other objects aren't changing anyway. It's very nice to be able utilize blenders features to get a good rendering in multiple views as I'm working, and it's now as easy to sync with Blender as to switch to the render tab and do a render in MH.
MHvsBlender.png

MHvsBlenderHead.png

So, thanks for this!
blindsaypatten

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests