Exporting materials to 3ds

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Exporting materials to 3ds

Postby ragdoll » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:26 am

I need to use MakeHuman models in 3d studio, so I export the mesh in .obj format. The problem is that the mesh in 3d studio appears completely grey, without the materials for eyes and skin. How can I export materials from MakeHuman to 3ds?
ragdoll

Re: Exporting materials to 3ds

Postby pistacja » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:24 pm

You'll need to reapply the textures (and perhaps change the material type), all the textures are in the /data/rib_data/textures_data/ directory.
The material the imported mesh has is a Multi/Sub-object, each ID is a different part:

1-body - use the texture body_color.tif for diffuse color, body_specular.tif for spectacular color and body_bump.tif for the bump (or change the material type to SSS Fast Skin Material and use body_color.tif for overall diffuse coloration, the bump texture doesn't work to good with that so I suggest to use this normal map and tile it 12-20 times:http://www.filterforge.com/filters/3551-normal.html)

2- eye - use: eyes_color.tif and eyes_reflection.tif (in the right slots of course) - you might toy a bit with glossiness and spectacular levels or change the material type to ray traced

3- head - use: head_color, head_bump and head_spectacular (or SSS Fast Skin Material like for the body)

4- teeth -???

5- tongue - ??? (head_color, head_bump and head_spectacular)

6 - iris - ??? (eyes_reflection?)

7- eyebrows - eyebrows_color.tif (this one needs a alpha channel - I needed to make a black and with version of the texture to get it right)

8-eyelashes - eyelashes_color (with alpha - same as eyebrows )

Hope this helps.

(oh, and there's a "materials.mtl" file with every obj file, but that didn't work good enough for me, still had to reapply the textures)
This post was made thanks to Me, Myself and I.
pistacja

Re: Exporting materials to 3ds

Postby ragdoll » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:03 pm

pistacja wrote:You'll need to reapply the textures (and perhaps change the material type), all the textures are in the /data/rib_data/textures_data/ directory.
The material the imported mesh has is a Multi/Sub-object, each ID is a different part:

1-body - use the texture body_color.tif for diffuse color, body_specular.tif for spectacular color and body_bump.tif for the bump (or change the material type to SSS Fast Skin Material and use body_color.tif for overall diffuse coloration, the bump texture doesn't work to good with that so I suggest to use this normal map and tile it 12-20 times:http://www.filterforge.com/filters/3551-normal.html)

2- eye - use: eyes_color.tif and eyes_reflection.tif (in the right slots of course) - you might toy a bit with glossiness and spectacular levels or change the material type to ray traced

3- head - use: head_color, head_bump and head_spectacular (or SSS Fast Skin Material like for the body)

4- teeth -???

5- tongue - ??? (head_color, head_bump and head_spectacular)

6 - iris - ??? (eyes_reflection?)

7- eyebrows - eyebrows_color.tif (this one needs a alpha channel - I needed to make a black and with version of the texture to get it right)

8-eyelashes - eyelashes_color (with alpha - same as eyebrows )

Hope this helps.

(oh, and there's a "materials.mtl" file with every obj file, but that didn't work good enough for me, still had to reapply the textures)

Thank you so much, probably the best answer I ever got.
Only one thing: I think it's better if you use eyes_color.tif for iris and leave the eye white. Only my two cents.
ragdoll

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests