Is there a dedicated section for asset help, say, for eyes?

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Is there a dedicated section for asset help, say, for eyes?

Postby mschickenboo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:42 pm

As an obsessive organizer, I might add that there might should be a dedicated assets section with regard to user contributed assets,technical issues concerning assets, asset quality grading, etc. It is hard to use the search as it keeps giving me nothing when I put in specifics, and no matter what phrasing I use, it seems that the relatively recent search spider retardation is pervasive. not the fault of the coders, just the... technology. sigh.

Anywho, this is my problem:

I'm looking for info on this problem I'm having downloading eyes from the plugin.

I found a lovely pair of eyes 'sunspot' or something. It shows them in the download window (view details), but they don't show up when downloaded, and are not available on the materials screen. Perhaps if the forum had a better organized/dedicated section dealing with each type and sub-type of asset, the search might be able to function more effectively?

And please, don't take offense at my suggestion or my question, I just cannot find the information I need, and I can see many ways in which the interface might be improved. I can't help it, I'm just like this. ;)

Also I am a noob. thank you for this lovely LOVELy program, as it is the only one I can understand how to use. It's so minimalist and simple, it's just a dream. Please never change the UI for makehuman. ever, ever, ever.
Also why is the white of the eye so dark? I can barely see the iris.
mschickenboo

Re: Is there a dedicated section for asset help, say, for ey

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 pm

The asset discussion is here: viewforum.php?f=20. If your not satisfied with the forum search you can also try using Google with the "site:xyz.tld" restriction. Maybe you can give more information about the asset that does not work (i.e. which one) and how you tried to download it (from the webpage or using the download plugin), any errors in the "Logs" section ... ?
Aranuvir

Re:Asset help, say, for eyes

Postby RobBaer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:03 pm

mschickenboo wrote:Also why is the white of the eye so dark? I can barely see the iris.

Welcome,mschickenboo. So, you don't say, but I am guessing you are talking about inside Blender and not inside MakeHuman? If so, the dark whites of the eye are likely a function of what various programs assume about transparency and perhaps shadows.

MakeHuman uses the alpha channel of the texture map to save transparency information. Many programs assume transparency information will be provided by a separate texture. To make everything look as intended you have to configure you shader to find this transparency information. If I'm right this is your problem, I began writing about handling this in Blender and a few other programs here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _Workflows (perhaps section 6?). Unfortunately, I haven't updated it to deal with cycles [or eevee :-)], but it may give you an idea how to get started.
RobBaer

Postby joepal » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:23 am

mschickenboo wrote:Also why is the white of the eye so dark? I can barely see the iris.

Assuming you're using cycles: You should probably turn off cast shadows for the eyes

eyes_noshadow1.png

With proper lighting, and no other changes to the eye materials, the result will look like this:

eyes_noshadow2.png

If you want to tweak it further, you can change the outer layer to principled bsdf with 1.0 transmission, 0.0 glossy and 1.0 clearcoat, with a result like this:

eyes_noshadow3.png

Another low-tech solution is to use "low_poly" eyes rather than "high_poly". This will give you eyes which have no outer layer.

If you're using blender internal, and for more tips, see

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _(or_black)_in_blender

and

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... in_blender

(I should update the latter one so it uses principled instead of the old diffuse/glossy mix)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby mschickenboo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:51 am

Aranuvir wrote:The asset discussion is here: viewforum.php?f=20. If your not satisfied with the forum search you can also try using Google with the "site:xyz.tld" restriction. Maybe you can give more information about the asset that does not work (i.e. which one) and how you tried to download it (from the webpage or using the download plugin), any errors in the "Logs" section ... ?

Ah thank you, Aranvir. I have been distracted recently and unable to do much on the computer. Sorry for the delay in responding.
The link, I will go look at that now, thank you! ;)

As for the info about how and what and why and such, it was this eye asset (I will post this again in the appropriate section via the link.):

1. 1052 Elvaerwyn CC-BY SunSpot Eyes Another Material file for MakeHuman eyes. Fantasy style Eyes.
I downloaded it through the plugin.
Last edited by mschickenboo on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mschickenboo

Re: Re:Asset help, say, for eyes

Postby mschickenboo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:54 am

RobBaer wrote:

Welcome,mschickenboo. So, you don't say, but I am guessing you are talking about inside Blender and not inside MakeHuman? If so, the dark whites of the eye are likely a function of what various programs assume about transparency and perhaps shadows.

MakeHuman uses the alpha channel of the texture map to save transparency information. Many programs assume transparency information will be provided by a separate texture. To make everything look as intended you have to configure you shader to find this transparency information. If I'm right this is your problem, I began writing about handling this in Blender and a few other programs here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _Workflows (perhaps section 6?). Unfortunately, I haven't updated it to deal with cycles [or eevee :-)], but it may give you an idea how to get started.

I am NOt in Blender, sadly- just MAkeHuman, which I find quite appealing and easy to comprehend. Blender... doesn't compute for my brian. um... brian. dang it. BRAIN. urk. anyway, Does this still wkor if it's strictly MakeHuman I'm using?
And... I actually wondered if it was alpha transparency that was involved... I figured it might be the problem.

and, thank you for replying. I appreciate it.
mschickenboo

Postby mschickenboo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:03 am

joepal wrote:

Assuming you're using cycles: You should probably turn off cast shadows for the eyes

eyes_noshadow1.png

With proper lighting, and no other changes to the eye materials, the result will look like this:

eyes_noshadow2.png

If you want to tweak it further, you can change the outer layer to principled bsdf with 1.0 transmission, 0.0 glossy and 1.0 clearcoat, with a result like this:

eyes_noshadow3.png

Another low-tech solution is to use "low_poly" eyes rather than "high_poly". This will give you eyes which have no outer layer.

If you're using blender internal, and for more tips, see

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _(or_black)_in_blender

and

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... in_blender

(I should update the latter one so it uses principled instead of the old diffuse/glossy mix)

oooo I'm strictly working in MAkeHuman. does this advice still apply? Blender is beyond me... also thank you for replying! ;)
mschickenboo

Postby MargaretToigo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:38 pm

In MakeHuman, you can design and dress your characters, pose them, add a background and render the scene into a 2D pic. But MakeHuman is mostly used as a tool for making characters to import into Blender and similar 3D graphics programs.
MargaretToigo

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests