unable to instal on windows 10

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

unable to instal on windows 10

Postby Jinn71 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Hello, newbie here, just downloaded mankehuman1.1.1, extracted the folder, then tried to install by double clicking on the 'makehuman.exe' file, (also right clicked and tried to 'Run as administrator'. both attempts result in FATAL ERROR, failed to execute script_init_. I have deleted the folders and redownloaded 3 time with the same results. What am I doing wrong? My computer is a new Windows surface pro with windows 10. Thanks for any help provided
Jinn71

Re: unable to instal on windows 10

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 pm

Trying to run the executable makehuman.exe is actually running the MH program itself -- in other words it's not an installer.

What are the permissions on the folder and contents?

Jinn71 wrote:Hello, newbie here, just downloaded mankehuman1.1.1, extracted the folder, then tried to install by double clicking on the 'makehuman.exe' file, (also right clicked and tried to 'Run as administrator'. both attempts result in FATAL ERROR, failed to execute script_init_. I have deleted the folders and redownloaded 3 time with the same results. What am I doing wrong? My computer is a new Windows surface pro with windows 10. Thanks for any help provided
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby Jinn71 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 am

Antiqua_Sphinge wrote:Trying to run the executable makehuman.exe is actually running the MH program itself -- in other words it's not an installer.

What are the permissions on the folder and contents?

Jinn71 wrote:Hello, newbie here, just downloaded mankehuman1.1.1, extracted the folder, then tried to install by double clicking on the 'makehuman.exe' file, (also right clicked and tried to 'Run as administrator'. both attempts result in FATAL ERROR, failed to execute script_init_. I have deleted the folders and redownloaded 3 time with the same results. What am I doing wrong? My computer is a new Windows surface pro with windows 10. Thanks for any help provided

Thanks you for the reply. Brainfart, note to anyone with bitdefender, make sure you take measures to allow new downloads to run applications. Many thanks. Problem solved
Jinn71

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:46 am

Okay, assuming you have admin privilege on your computer, right-click the folder (wherever you extracted it), click on Properties. There should be a tab for Permissions, click on it.

If the permission level for the folder and it's contents is "Read Only", the program won't run.

The folder itself should have a permission level along the lines of "Create and Delete" while the program inside the folder should have have "Read and Write" type permission.

Jinn71 wrote:Thanks for clarifying, I need to rephrase my question then. How do I get MH to run? and get no error message. at 1:45 in this video the newly extracted folder file 'makehuman.exe' is clicked on and the program runs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJbkqc0isEQ . I do not know the permissions on the folder content.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby loki1950 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:45 am

Not just bitdefender make that all virus scanners most seen to assume that all open source software is suspect probably because they have no corporate identity they can find :twisted: Makes me glad that my main platform is Linux where we have yet to see any malware vector in the wild lots of lab bots that need very special conditions just to run most only in userland but as I am a long time computer user since the 60's actually I do check my system logs at lest once a week usually find several external attempts to log in but no successes thanks to a fairly strong password :ugeek:
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:45 am

You played on the mainframe in a previous incarnation apparently.

Hadn't thought about firewall affecting the program.

loki1950 wrote:Not just bitdefender make that all virus scanners most seen to assume that all open source software is suspect probably because they have no corporate identity they can find :twisted: Makes me glad that my main platform is Linux where we have yet to see any malware vector in the wild lots of lab bots that need very special conditions just to run most only in userland but as I am a long time computer user since the 60's actually I do check my system logs at lest once a week usually find several external attempts to log in but no successes thanks to a fairly strong password :ugeek:
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby loki1950 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Both IBM 360's and VAX's and a PDP8e in college though my first language was actually a progenitor of FORTRAN called FORTE that was developed at Canada's Royal Military College in the sixty's for Game Theory and what was called operational research which includes Monty Carlo techniques and such one of my college assignments was adding Runge Kutta 4th order differential equation solver to plotter program call Obit a very simple earth orbit sim based of an article from the British Planetary Society still have it :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby HCK_Numbers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 pm

I keep getting this error as well, recently downloaded Makehuman but every time I open the .exe it says Fatal Error: 'Failed to execute script_init_'

I have also followed all the other comments on how to fix this but it still says error.

Help Please
HCK_Numbers

Postby badwolf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:05 pm

first thing to check is did you get a complete intact download??

use 7ZIP to unpack the file into a folder directly off your C drive (im not sure the built-in zip thing in win10 is not brain dead)
badwolf

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:34 pm

I was doing some checking on the Internet and apparently Win 10 has issues even with MS software loading and running. For some reason v10 shoots itself in the foot due to a .Net issue amongs others.

Another possibility to check is security settings under Windows.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Next

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests