Render pose distortion

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Render pose distortion

Postby dvnobles » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:24 pm

I think I've found a way forward...
I was able to apply the armature modifier on the clothes.
Then, I delete all the shape keys on the model, I leave the particle modifier (I think is there because of the hair) and leave the mask modifier (which appears to be there for something to do with the shoes?), then apply the armature modifier only (in that stack of Armature/Mask/Particle).
I turned off autorun python scripts and also sent to render farm to test and both worked.
The only thing is I will have to do this for each model I render that has the IK settings (most all) and there is a LOT of shape keys to remove. I might be able to make a copy of the models and just remove the shape keys on all the models - I don't think I need them because I use the face panel to make expressions.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
dvnobles

Postby o4saken » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

dvnobles wrote:
@ o4saken - it's still images. Your idea would be perfect - it's a quick fix and I only need to do it in the temp file I send to Render Farm. Unfortunately, it makes the particle hair go bye bye. :(

Ah - see i do the particle hair after i have converted to mesh.

But your solution to this would be then to duplicate the human, take this now duplicated one and convert to mesh object, bye bye particle hair - correct, but now shift and click on the still rigged model, thus you now have them both selected, (1st the static and then 2nd the rigged because you selected it after the 1st). now under the particle hair tab, click on the particle hair system you want to have, then next to that there is a little down arrow on the right, click that and select copy active to selected object. and done - the particle hair is transferred to your now static human - now you can delete the rigged person and you are done.
Capture.PNG
o4saken

Postby dvnobles » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 pm

o4saken wrote:
Ah - see i do the particle hair after i have converted to mesh.

But your solution to this would be then to duplicate the human, take this now duplicated one and convert to mesh object, bye bye particle hair - correct, but now shift and click on the still rigged model, thus you now have them both selected, (1st the static and then 2nd the rigged because you selected it after the 1st). now under the particle hair tab, click on the particle hair system you want to have, then next to that there is a little down arrow on the right, click that and select copy active to selected object. and done - the particle hair is transferred to your now static human - now you can delete the rigged person and you are done.
Capture.PNG

That may be even quicker, I will have to try that. Thanks!
dvnobles

Postby grinsegold » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Maybe the others are right when they tell you your problem is caused by the autorun, but it reminded me at issues i ran into some times. So here are two more possible causes:
1.: Some people have the restposes on frame one, and the scene poses on frame two, plus maybe alternative settings on frame three. This is done by keyframes. If you change something at your model armature and insert a keyframe with [i], the change stays from this frame on or gradually interpolate towards the next frame with keyframe set. Have you accidentally pressed [i] without intention? Or did you add a keyframe in the first place, made a tweak and forgot to re[i]? (that's what happens oh so often to me!) Are there enties in the graph-editor? Are there yellow verticals in the timeline?

2.: You can pose your model with ik, and before you export, you could snap the fk to the ik with the respective buttons in te mhx2-tab (under those buttons where you activated the ik).

Hint: If you are forced to apply the modifiers and shapekeys in order to proceed, apply the topmost modifier first, then the one beneath and so on. If needed and possible, change their order to act conform to this rule. Same with shapekeys: first the topmost (basis), then the next.

My recommendation: use mhx2, pose your model, use no subsurf- but a multiresolution modifier, place it at position 1. This way you can add extra details like fingerfolds at gloves etc. and bake a normal map for the details - which reduces rendertime. When you are satisfied with your pose, make a backup and then you can apply the armature (make the model static).

But i would be surprised if snapping the fk bones to the ik wouldn't do the trick... since this would be an explanation for why you occasionally succeeded. Of course driven faceshapes are different. Those you will have to apply.
grinsegold

Postby dvnobles » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:48 am

grinsegold wrote:Maybe the others are right when they tell you your problem is caused by the autorun, but it reminded me at issues i ran into some times. So here are two more possible causes:
1.: Some people have the restposes on frame one,

Hi grinsegold,

1. No, no keyframes. The strangest one that happened was one I had rendered and opened back up some weeks later and found one of the models (MHX2 format) bent completely over and another (original MHX format) with one hand behind his back and one stretched in front of him. No idea what is causing this, but I've seen it in a couple of bizarre cases. The python script turned off before render I can understand, but these others...very strange.

2. THAT is exactly what I was looking for! I thought there should be some way in the menu to apply, but didn't realize the snap to bones would actually 'apply' it and would stay applied when the script was turned off. THANK YOU! :D
For the facial expressions, I only use the face panel and main mouth handle, no drivers...so I'm good to go there too!
My next issue is I have 2 characters that I created with the original MHX and older version of MH and I've made 2 new replacements using MHX2 and the latest MH...but somehow I need the new characters to resemble their old character counterparts. The only thing I can do is to try to model the new ones with background reference pics...I never kept the original .mhm files :( So I'm in the middle of that fun now.
dvnobles

Postby dvnobles » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Just an update on this in case anyone runs into the same type of issues. Again, not a bug with MakeHuman, MHX or Blender, but just a procedural issue when using a render farm while needing the python scripts to be active. I have a workaround as noted above, just wanted to add some current thoughts...

-- I thought the original MHX format was not affected by this issue - it is - and unfortunately, there is no 'snap to' solution, so for those 2 models that I still have in MHX format, I will just avoid the render farm for the most part.

-- I have come to realize that even if I use the 'snap to' solution, this doesn't necessarily mean that the head, eyes, mouth and fingers will be correct when run through the render farm. It looks like if I make those kinds of adjustments AFTER I use the 'snap to', then I might be okay. Jury still out, but looks promising.
dvnobles

Postby Brody_Adelman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:23 am

I figured out a way to use a MakeHuman model with SheepIt without any issues by using the MHX rig with my own IK constaints added. Here is a link to my GitHub, where you can find code for the python console and instructions on how to use it: https://github.com/Brody-Adelman/MHX2-Python-Fix
Brody_Adelman

Previous

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests