Render pose distortion

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Render pose distortion

Postby dvnobles » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue where sometimes a model will change pose when rendered. I have had a model bent completely over, another with his arm behind his back while holding his hand palm forward as if to say "Stop!", etc. In the attached example, you can see the model hands on panel (correct) and model turned somehow in render. In this example, it is actually rendering ok on my PC, but when sending to the render farm (sheep-it), it is changing. I do not want to blame the render farm process, though, because these issues sometimes happen when I render on my PC as well. I'm wondering if there is some setting I can check that may be causing this in the final render. Also, the Render view in Blender looks correct, it is just the final render. I am using MakeHuman, character exported to MHX2 with clothes made with the makeclothes tool. Rendered in Blender Cycles.
//Dan
Attachments
issue.jpg
dvnobles

Re: Render pose distortion

Postby joepal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm

MHX2 requires that embedded python scripts run automatically in order to handle several aspects (such as the IK/FK switch). If the setting is to not autorun python scripts (which is the default in blender), you will get distorted toons. My first guess is that this is the culprit somehow.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby dvnobles » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:54 pm

joepal wrote:MHX2 requires that embedded python scripts run automatically in order to handle several aspects (such as the IK/FK switch). If the setting is to not autorun python scripts (which is the default in blender), you will get distorted toons. My first guess is that this is the culprit somehow.

Hi Joepal! Thanks, this is the best explanation I've heard so far. I will look into it. It could be that the SheepIT render farm settings on that are not matching mine or something.
//Dan
dvnobles

Postby joepal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Since enabling auto-running of python scripts is a security risk, chances are they've not actively changed the default (which is to not allow the scripts). Having these enabled would allow someone to upload a malicious blend file and suddenly have access to the whole file system with the permissions of the system user running the render task.

To get around this, you might have to apply the pose (if rendering still images), or not use the MHX2 rig. You will probably get around the problem by not doing the "override" thing when importing the MHX2 toon, thereby getting the "default" makehuman rig that you probably exported with. You'll miss out on IK and some other stuff, but it'll be less fragile in a render farm setting.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby dvnobles » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:22 am

joepal wrote:Since enabling auto-running of python scripts is a security risk, chances are they've not actively changed the default (which is to not allow the scripts). Having these enabled would allow someone to upload a malicious blend file and suddenly have access to the whole file system with the permissions of the system user running the render task.

Yep, I was aware that sheep-it doesn't run scripts for security reasons, and that makes sense, but for some reason I was thinking only rogue scripts. I figured something like MHX2 might be already allowed somehow, but no...it is all scripts that are not allowed. So, your mention of 'freezing the pose' is what intrigues me now and is what I'm looking for. I have to figure out how to do that. Strangely, I must have had it working before somehow because I have rendered a number of poses with IK settings in the render farm. Doing it without IK is not really an option for me anymore...it helps to create MUCH more natural poses. So, I either find a way to make this work or it's back to spending 2 hours per render on my PC :D
I'm going to try some things right now to see if I can apply the pose somehow.
//Dan
dvnobles

Postby dvnobles » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 am

So far, I've tried Pose-->Apply-->Apply Visual transform to pose
and
I've tried applying Location while in object mode to the model
So, still working on it...I'm sure there is a way.

I'd like to also mention even though I posted this in this forum, definitely not a problem with MH, but rather a situation due to using MHX2 on an MH model imported into Blender and rendered on a render farm that doesn't allow the (necessary) IK python scripts to process.
dvnobles

Postby dvnobles » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:59 am

Thought I had it figured out...
Tried to apply the armature modifier on both the clothes and model...the model wouldn't let me apply it because it said it can't since the model has shape keys, soooooo.... I deleted all the shape keys, then hit convert on a particle modifier that was in the stack (I didn't understand that part). That removed the other modifiers. Then I applied the armature modifier on the clothing. Turned off the python scripts and opened the file again...back to default pose. I think I must be getting close though... :roll:

oh, btw...in that last attempt, the clothes DID retain the correct pose, just the model did not, so maybe I just need to get that armature modifier applied in the correct order / manner....
dvnobles

Postby joepal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 am

An alternative might be adding IK to the default rig. It will be a lot more primitive than the MHX2 rig with all its helper scripting stuff, but it will most likely work on a render farm out of the box.

See https://docs.blender.org/manual/de/dev/ ... olver.html

My guess is this will work *better* than MHX2 if you have to delete all MHX2's shape keys and so on and so forth just to make it work.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby o4saken » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:48 am

Is this an animation or just a still image?

if it is a still image - what i do once i have my pose and everything setup is to go to object, convert to mesh. this makes the human solid/static object - for my purposes i can now go into edit mode and the model will stay in pose, duplicate sections of the skin to change/model into clothing etc. but this in theory should also stop the person moving during render.
o4saken

Postby dvnobles » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 pm

o4saken wrote:Is this an animation or just a still image?

if it is a still image - what i do once i have my pose and everything setup is to go to object, convert to mesh. this makes the human solid/static object - for my purposes i can now go into edit mode and the model will stay in pose, duplicate sections of the skin to change/model into clothing etc. but this in theory should also stop the person moving during render.

@joepal - do you mean abandon the MHX2 rig config altogether and set it up manually with IK?...hmmm, maybe, but I'm weak in the rigging area. The reason I'm using the MakeHuman / MHX2 solution is because it takes work off my plate (for my graphic novel, I'm writing the script, doing storyboard, renders, modeling ships, props, uniforms, sets, creating textures, converting to graphic novel in Photoshop, doing layout, speech balloons, formatting for publishing, proofing, publishing, and advertising). THIS is why I love MakeHuman and MHX2 and when I learned to do the clothes (uniforms), the dreams started to come to reality... :D

@ o4saken - it's still images. Your idea would be perfect - it's a quick fix and I only need to do it in the temp file I send to Render Farm. Unfortunately, it makes the particle hair go bye bye. :(
dvnobles

Next

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests