El Capitan

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

El Capitan

Postby pixeldoggy » Fri May 12, 2017 5:27 am

Hi guys,

just to confirm - MakeHuman 1.1.1 no longer works on OS X El Capitan?

Cheers,
Sven
pixeldoggy

Re: El Capitan

Postby RobBaer » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

pixeldoggy wrote:Hi guys,
just to confirm - MakeHuman 1.1.1 no longer works on OS X El Capitan?
Cheers,
Sven

I'm not sure what your message means. Do you mean it won't start on your computer which is running El Capitan? Does it mean once started on your computer running El Capitan that it is misbehaving in some fashion? Do you mean that there is some problem on all computers that are running El Capitan in some as yet unspecified manner? When you say, "no longer" as of when? It worked with 1.1.0 and not with 1.1.1? Is this as of some additional software install? As of some El Capitan patch?

Could you clarify what "not working" means and under what circumstances?
RobBaer

Postby pixeldoggy » Fri May 12, 2017 1:05 pm

I am running El Capitan. Downloaded the 1.1.1 for OS X this morning, and when I unpacked it, the program icon is crossed out. When I start it, I get the message that I need OS X 10.12 or newer to run it. Just surprised me a bit, because I think 1.1.0. ran on much older versions.
pixeldoggy

Postby RobBaer » Fri May 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Hmm...

So you don't get a splash screen even. I will presume you are using the regular built version and not the source version. If you look in the ~/makehuman/v1 folder do you see any log files that might help us learn more?

The devs don't have a lot of Mac resources, so this may be a little harder to get to the bottom of. Perhaps our Mac users can start us in the right direction.
RobBaer

Postby Aranuvir » Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 pm

pixeldoggy wrote:I am running El Capitan. Downloaded the 1.1.1 for OS X this morning, and when I unpacked it, the program icon is crossed out. When I start it, I get the message that I need OS X 10.12 or newer to run it. Just surprised me a bit, because I think 1.1.0. ran on much older versions.

IIRC there was a version limit, but I cant tell you the exact reason. No one of the crew really uses OS X and the package is build by a maintainer, who rarely shows up. Robs idea to try the source, is what I had recommended, too. Here is some documentation (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _on_MacOSX), though I'm not sure if it is complete. It could be possible, that you need to install 'numpy' and 'pyopengl', too. You should find help how to install those packages in the internet.
Aranuvir

Postby pixeldoggy » Fri May 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Ok, thanks for clarifying!
pixeldoggy

Postby raziel2001au » Sat May 13, 2017 9:02 am

Aranuvir wrote:IIRC there was a version limit, but I cant tell you the exact reason. No one of the crew really uses OS X and the package is build by a maintainer, who rarely shows up. Robs idea to try the source, is what I had recommended, too. Here is some documentation (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _on_MacOSX), though I'm not sure if it is complete. It could be possible, that you need to install 'numpy' and 'pyopengl', too. You should find help how to install those packages in the internet.

You have to give me a little more credit than that! Anyway... I have no idea, it *should* work fine.

Do we have multiple people reporting that it doesn't work on El Capitan? Given it's only one version behind the current Mac OS X, I'd be surprised if it's really not working as many people are still using that version of OS X and 1.1.1 has been out for a while now.

Unfortunately I have a ton of things I have to deal with IRL over the next few weeks, so I won't be able to assist with this. For the moment, I think we need to confirm if it's an isolated case or a common occurence.
raziel2001au

Postby Aranuvir » Sat May 13, 2017 9:43 am

You have to give me a little more credit than that!

I must do what?
Aranuvir

Postby pixeldoggy » Sat May 13, 2017 11:19 am

In the meantime, I tried installing it on another Mac with the same OS - same result. So at least I can confirm two different computers it doesn't run on. However, 1.1.0 works great for me, so it's no big deal. And I really appreciate you guys doing a Mac version.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 13.10.02.jpg
pixeldoggy

Postby jmaynard » Sat May 13, 2017 4:35 pm

I get the same result.

My guess is that the package was built on a machine running OS X 10.12, and one of the dependencies was built for that version of the OS - perhaps unintentionally.

While makeHuman is pure Python, tis dependencies are not. I'm not about to pollute my system with Brew, though, to find out where the problem lies, and I can't use OS X 10.12 yet.

I'll fall back to MH 1.1.0, and hope that the assciated stuff for Blender works with Blender 2.78c and Avastar 2.0 RC8, for export to Second Life...
jmaynard

Next

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests