Why I think race sliders aren't good for modeling

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Why I think race sliders aren't good for modeling

Postby jujube » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:11 pm

@1st post: I tried that at first; I used a vertex group to apply the male slider only to the body, and then made a 2nd target to move the head up. But MT doesn't see vertex groups, and also for some reason in MH, the neck was really long, equivalent to the amount I moved it up to get it out of the torso in MT. Then I created new shape from mix, to copy the effect w/o vertex groups, but MT doesn't save shapekeys that it didn't create. So then I used makeclothes to get a new human, so I could load target as mesh. And then I ran out of time. Away from my PC ATM.

Edit: oh, also, ManuelLab has a more complex skin shader, with multiple texture layers (including subsurface and specularity). Another user tried projecting it to the MH model.
jujube

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:03 pm

jujube wrote:@1st post: I tried that at first; I used a vertex group to apply the male slider only to the body, and then made a 2nd target to move the head up. But MT doesn't see vertex groups, and also for some reason in MH, the neck was really long, equivalent to the amount I moved it up to get it out of the torso in MT.

Now that I think of it, it should probably be a vertical scale relative to the ground rather than a translation. Probably with whatever x and y scaling factor is used in the height transform.
blindsaypatten

Postby jujube » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Back at my PC, and it works!!! Tested with max/min height:
heights.png

The steps I took:

1) startup maketarget (mesh A)
2) load target from file
3) blend shapekey based on vertex group
4) copy the model (mesh B)
5) on copied model, create new shapekey from mix
6) get rid of the original shapekey
7) summon a third mesh, via makeclothes (mesh C)
8) set it as base
9) load target from mesh, B --> C
10) save target

When I'd rather the workflow look more like:
1) startup maketarget
2) load target from file
3) blend shapekey based on vertex group
4) save target

(all the steps in between, where I work with three meshes instead of two, is because when you load target from mesh, the mesh you loaded from vanishes; but I want to keep the original to modify, in case it doesn't look good when I test it in MH. So just being able to load target from mesh without destroying said mesh would cut down on the number of steps required. )
jujube

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:20 am

jujube wrote:Back at my PC, and it works!!!

I know I really need to learn to do that myself, but, could you pretty please feed my need for immediate gratification and share the resulting target so I can play while I claw my way up the learning curve? :oops:
blindsaypatten

Postby jujube » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:38 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:
jujube wrote:Back at my PC, and it works!!!

I know I really need to learn to do that myself, but, could you pretty please feed my need for immediate gratification and share the resulting target so I can play while I claw my way up the learning curve? :oops:

I already posted it to the repo! My other targets are there too, in user contributed assets --> assets by author.
(The target I uploaded yesterday is a better version than the one I posted a pic of; that one started with the caucasian male and reverted the head back to default, while this one works out of the box. Apply it to the startup morph and it changes only the body to male. )
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/targe ... _body.html

I'll let you have my blend file to play with, too.
Attachments
head body target experiments.blend
(19.63 MiB) Downloaded 433 times
jujube

Previous

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests