Difficult to model Asian features

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Difficult to model Asian features

Postby jujube » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:03 am

The smooth/obtuse nose-lip angle that the MH caucasian mesh has by default drives me crazy too. And I suppose it's only partially a topology issue; the asian mesh has more of the nose-lip crease than the caucasian mesh does. It's just that it's far from being the default in white people, as seen in your guy in the reference photo, and I made a target to fix it but it really should be a default feature IMO.

(my nose is the sharp crease kind, and seeing the default white female mesh having such an extremely obtuse angle, I have to suppress the insecure part of my brain; is the MH ""average"" far off from reality, or is it actually part of the ideal for female beauty that I somehow never knew about??? But I'm really getting off topic here... I've turned this thread into a general "complain about MH topology" thread)

Another nose feature MH lacks is nostril rotation to the side; you can pose the nose that way but it's not a target. I thought it would be easy to make a target from the posed mesh, but when loaded in MH, it only pinches the nose, and doesn't rotate the nostrils.
Attachments
nosetarget.png
default MH nostrils rotate target
nosepose.PNG
posing the nose to rotate the nostrils
new nose target.PNG
attempted nose target
jujube

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:31 am

Just for the heck of it:
grab_2017-03-27_02.27.17.png
blindsaypatten

Postby punkduck » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:21 pm

jujube wrote:(my nose is the sharp crease kind, and seeing the default white female mesh having such an extremely obtuse angle, I have to suppress the insecure part of my brain; is the MH ""average"" far off from reality, or is it actually part of the ideal for female beauty that I somehow never knew about??? But I'm really getting off topic here... I've turned this thread into a general "complain about MH topology" thread)

At least for female beauty there is a rather simple answer: there are some types of noses that make females (and males also) look younger. In Germany one type is called "Stupsnase", is it button nose in english? I'm not really sure about that, this discussion reaches my limits of english language.

I will not complain about MH, but yes, the nose ... hmm ... I've made my own proxy for my girls. I changed two issues with the texture for details that are ... ehm ... kinda out of scope y'know :oops: ... BUT I also changed the form of the nose to this button nose type thing. Of course I tried to do the same as blindsaypatten has done (projection of the real image) and I never reached the toon being identical to the real picture. In Blender I had more success. But for me it was a problem to get a good picture with the right focus. And even perspective on the real picture and non-perspective in MH is a problem.

When reading this discussion it became obvious, that before I create my 4th female model, an Asian one, I have to wait until I know more about these topics. So for me this discussion is helpful. :shock:
punkduck

Postby jujube » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:42 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:Just for the heck of it:

I bet that would look amazing projection painted...
jujube

Postby punkduck » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:40 pm

I just want to say thank you to Jujube and Lindsay!!! :D

A lot of your targets really helped to model my next character 'Xiao' (which is Chinese and simply means "little" and is a common female name). Here she is, a first render in Blender, not yet fully equipped, especially no strand hair yet. The skin needs some extras also ... (additive procedural shader). Last not least I it seems to be quite a big difference between Caucasians and Asians. I MUST remodel a few assets in the shoulder region. All clothes modelled on the helper had problems with the shoulder/neck section, because it pokes through the clothes (e.g. romper, evening-gown, motor-cycle jacket) :(

xiao.jpg
punkduck

Previous

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests