Temporary faults in linux-amd64 and api builds

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Temporary faults in linux-amd64 and api builds

Postby joepal » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 pm

After having upgraded to the latest virtualbox the amd64 virtual machine keeps crashing, while the winxp and the i386 machines seem to work ok. I'm currently investigating to see if I can downgrade or do something else about it all. Unfortunately the amd64 machine also builds the API docs, so they won't be updated either until I fix the problem.

In the meantime, take a look on how to not have to keep downloading nightly builds: http://makehuman.blogspot.com/2010/08/u ... t-way.html
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Temporary faults in linux-amd64 and api builds

Postby daveleitz » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm

I attempted to install the nightly .deb package for the amd64 version in Ubuntu 10.041 (Lucid-64bit) on Monday. The program installed but would not run. Ubuntu refused to install the alpha5 .deb package. That's when I found this post in the forum. However, I still had the current MS Windows alpha5 version (32 bit) installer on my netbook, so I installed that in Ubuntu under Wine along with the MS VC++ redistributable. Fortunately, it works well enough to export .obj meshes. Hopefully, the 64 bit Debian package will be fixed soon, but at least there is a work around available with Wine. :D
daveleitz

Postby jcapco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 am

daveleitz wrote:I attempted to install the nightly .deb package for the amd64 version in Ubuntu 10.041 (Lucid-64bit) on Monday. The program installed but would not run. Ubuntu refused to install the alpha5 .deb package. That's when I found this post in the forum. However, I still had the current MS Windows alpha5 version (32 bit) installer on my netbook, so I installed that in Ubuntu under Wine along with the MS VC++ redistributable. Fortunately, it works well enough to export .obj meshes. Hopefully, the 64 bit Debian package will be fixed soon, but at least there is a work around available with Wine. :D

Did you not tried the alternative suggested in joepal's post (see the link he provided in the beginning of this thread)? The alternative with the .7z version should work with 64-bit Lucid Lynx.
jcapco

Postby joepal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:22 am

daveleitz wrote:I attempted to install the nightly .deb package for the amd64 version in Ubuntu 10.041 (Lucid-64bit) on Monday. The program installed but would not run. Ubuntu refused to install the alpha5 .deb package. That's when I found this post in the forum. However, I still had the current MS Windows alpha5 version (32 bit) installer on my netbook, so I installed that in Ubuntu under Wine along with the MS VC++ redistributable. Fortunately, it works well enough to export .obj meshes. Hopefully, the 64 bit Debian package will be fixed soon, but at least there is a work around available with Wine. :D

The alpha5 package should not be affected. What happened when you tried it?

And yes, I'm lagging behind with fixing the nightly builds. I'll get around to it eventually. But as said, the other method for acquiring the build should work in the meantime.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby daveleitz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:38 pm

I appreciate the replies. I'll have to wait to get back to you about my problem with installing the alpha5 on my desktop since I'm away through the weekend. Should I report my problem in a new thread or just post it here?

I've played with different Linux distros in the past decade, but never committed to any of them. I really need the speed for rendering that a 64 bit OS can give, and Ubuntu/Debian finally seems to provide enough usability to help me switch from Windows XP, despite some issues. Vista & 7 64 bit are not an option at this time.
daveleitz

Postby joepal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:10 pm

daveleitz wrote:I appreciate the replies. I'll have to wait to get back to you about my problem with installing the alpha5 on my desktop since I'm away through the weekend. Should I report my problem in a new thread or just post it here?

I've played with different Linux distros in the past decade, but never committed to any of them. I really need the speed for rendering that a 64 bit OS can give, and Ubuntu/Debian finally seems to provide enough usability to help me switch from Windows XP, despite some issues. Vista & 7 64 bit are not an option at this time.

Make a new thread and include as much console output / screenshots as you can for the report.

I use ubuntu 64-bit myself, so it'll come up sooner rather than later. I'm just having a bit trouble with the virtualization server atm.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby joepal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:15 pm

The nightly builds should be up again for all platforms now.

I had to rewrite some scripts, so testing is appreciated. The build works on my machine now anyhow.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby daveleitz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 am

Okay, I just figured I would give an update. I just installed the alpha-5 debian package, and it worked fine. I downloaded the file and installed from the command line using "sudo dpkg -i". Originally, I had attempted to install the debian package directly from Firefox and received a system error. So, this was not a bug or problem with the installer, just my learning curve with a new OS. On the plus side, I also know that the Windows version works with Wine, too. :)
daveleitz

Postby joepal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:49 am

If you plan on keeping using deb packages, you might want to take a look at the "installing through apt" section on this page:

http://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/download
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests