Anyone else getting this error? (mhx import fail)

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Anyone else getting this error? (mhx import fail)

Postby Daemonllama » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:06 am

Hi,

I can't seem to import the newer *-25.mhx files to Blender 2.53. I have a few older models that work from an older Nightly build (april or something) but with Aug 8th and 16th Nightly builds it's not working.

Here's the error I get:

Anyone else experiencing this?
Daemonllama

Re: Anyone else getting this error? (mhx import fail)

Postby ThomasL » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 pm

This is a nasty problem with incompatible versions of MakeHuman, MHX, and Blender. The MHX importer that ships as an add-on with recent Blenders is an old version (MHX version 0.9), which is compatible with MH alpha 5 and Blender 2.52. I have made some minor changes since then. In particular, I have introduced a scale option, which makes it possible to import an MH character into a scene where the default unit is not decimeters. To prevent the wrong things from being scaled I have introduced a new keyword NoScale in later versions.

Unfortunately I have recently been unable to load the updated mhx importer into Blender, due to some clash with the file that ships with Blender. I have to sort out with Meta-Androcto what the problem is.
ThomasL

Postby ThomasL » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:56 pm

OK, I have now committed a new version of the mxh importer, which seems to work at least with Blender rev 31338 under Ubuntu 10.04 (I'm building Blender from svn myself now). Ignore the mhx importer available as a Blender add-on. Instead, load import_scene_mhx.py from the MH svn or nightly builds ( importers/mhx/blender25x/import_scene_mhx.py) into a text editor window in Blender and run the script (Alt-P). The should now be a MakeHuman (.mhx) option in the import menu that can import mhx files exported from recent MH builds.

As I said, this works with my Linux Blender at home. I tried to do the same thing under Windows XP 32 bit at work earlier today, but didn't succeed because that build retained some memory of the previous, incompatible, version of the mhx importer. This is very confusing.
ThomasL

Postby Daemonllama » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Sorry haven't replied before now. Thanks for looking in to it and you should know it is working now for me with 20100819 Nightly build in Win7.
Daemonllama

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests