Strange triangle on Makehuman from Makeclothes

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Strange triangle on Makehuman from Makeclothes

Postby pl-lamballais » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi,

We're using Blender+makeclothes to create clothes and export them to Makehuman. It was OK until we update Makehuman (to 1.1.0) and also the MaleClothes package (also 1.1.0)
We're working on Mac OSX and now we get two problems:
- While exporting, we get a warning telling texture not found. In fact, the path indicated in the warning seems not to be correct: Makecloth must look at ../fold_text/the_texture.png" when in fact in look in "//../fold_text/the_texture.png"

If we put the texture in the same folder as the blender file, the warning say "//the_texture.png" not found. In fact we dont know where to put the texture....??!!

Second problem: the upper part of clothes now create a problem in Makehuman: they are full of big triangles. With the older Makehuman/Makeclothers version, we had no problem at all (texture founded and correct clothes).
I resume:
Exporting using old MakeClothes to old MakeHuman: texture and clothes are OK
Exporting using old MakeClothes and new MakeHuman: texture are OK but clothes get bad triangle at neck level
Exporting using new MakeClothes and new MakeHuman: texture not found and clothes get bad triangle at neck level

Any idea??

I edit my post with new info: I had a look at MakeClothes Python code. On line 139 of materials.py the script take the name of the texture, mix it with the destination path then copy scr to dest.
After adding display of values (outdir, texpath and srcpath) we find a VERY strange detail: if you have a clothe with a texture named eg "first.png" then you save, export and so on, then CHANGE the texture to use "second.png", this second texture will appear in blender, will be used, etc... but MakeClothes will still use "first.png"! It seems MakeClothe save the old name and continue using it, even if Blender know we use another file. So of course, MakeClothes don't find the new texture (as he's looking for the old one!) and in MakeHuman, we don't have the texture.

Best regards
Pierre-Louis
pl-lamballais

Re: Strange triangle on Makehuman from Makeclothes

Postby RobBaer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:39 pm

pl-lamballais wrote:Hi,

We're using Blender+makeclothes to create clothes and export them to Makehuman. It was OK until we update Makehuman (to 1.1.0) and also the MaleClothes package (also 1.1.0)
We're working on Mac OSX and now we get two problems:
- While exporting, we get a warning telling texture not found. In fact, the path indicated in the warning seems not to be correct: Makecloth must look at ../fold_text/the_texture.png" when in fact in look in "//../fold_text/the_texture.png"
If we put the texture in the same folder as the blender file, the warning say "//the_texture.png" not found. In fact we dont know where to put the texture....??!!

It is not clear whether you are "packing the textures" in into the .blend file, but this is often the safest thing to do before using MakeClothes because it makes things more consistent. To give more specific advice for a particular situation I'd need a little more detail as I don't know the specifics of Mac OSX file behavior.

pl-lamballais wrote:Second problem: the upper part of clothes now create a problem in Makehuman: they are full of big triangles. With the older Makehuman/Makeclothers version, we had no problem at all (texture founded and correct clothes).
I resume:
Exporting using old MakeClothes to old MakeHuman: texture and clothes are OK
Exporting using old MakeClothes and new MakeHuman: texture are OK but clothes get bad triangle at neck level
Exporting using new MakeClothes and new MakeHuman: texture not found and clothes get bad triangle at neck level

Any idea??

What does "older " mean? Can't tell but this sounds like a combination of a modeling and UV layout issue. The base mesh changed with version 1.0.x so clothes from before MH 1.0.0 will probably need some "remodelling". The other thing that might be going on is some sort of smoothing issue. Do you have smoothing on or off?

pl-lamballais wrote:I edit my post with new info: I had a look at MakeClothes Python code. On line 139 of materials.py the script take the name of the texture, mix it with the destination path then copy scr to dest.
After adding display of values (outdir, texpath and srcpath) we find a VERY strange detail: if you have a clothe with a texture named eg "first.png" then you save, export and so on, then CHANGE the texture to use "second.png", this second texture will appear in blender, will be used, etc... but MakeClothes will still use "first.png"! It seems MakeClothe save the old name and continue using it, even if Blender know we use another file. So of course, MakeClothes don't find the new texture (as he's looking for the old one!) and in MakeHuman, we don't have the texture.

This may be a bug worth looking into. I have added an issue to the bugtracker. Feel free to leave additional comments there. http://bugtracker.makehumancommunity.org/issues/1058 http://bugtracker.makehumancommunity.or ... /makehuman
RobBaer

Postby pl-lamballais » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi,
We're updating Blender, Makehuman, ad on and so on in order to get all in "last version" . Tomorrow we'll perform new tests and I'll tell you the results.

Best regards and thanks
Pierre-Louis
pl-lamballais

Postby pl-lamballais » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:49 pm

OK here are the result of the test. In fact I'm not the designer: i'm soft dev but our designer only speak Brasilian Portuges.

So: we have updated Blender to 2.77 and also Makehuman (1.1.0) and the add-on.
With the previous Blender and previous Makehuman and add-on, all clothes were OK. With the new we loosed texture (see previous post) and get strange big triangles at neck level.

With the new version (blender 2.77...) we had the same result: texture problem and triangle.

Until the moment where our designer has had an idea: rather than loading the clothes in Blender, creating a new project in Blender 2.77, creating a new makeclothes model and "Apend" the clothes in this "new project".
And now, it's possible to export to Makehuman withot loosing the texture file and without the strange triangles!

Maybe this way of doing will be a good opion of other people get this kind of problem.

Best regards to you all and thanks
Pierre-Louis
pl-lamballais

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests