Perplexing button problem with v1.0 alpha 5

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Perplexing button problem with v1.0 alpha 5

Postby keith03 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Hello,

I am experiencing a very strange UI bug that I cannot figure out if I can fix or not. All of the buttons in the MH UI seem to have clickable regions elsewhere. What I mean is, they can be clicked but not where they are displayed. The sliders, too can only be clicked right above the very edge between the slider and its label (for example).

I have prepared an annotated screen shot of two pages if this will be of any help. I can then describe the problem better.

From what I can tell in the source, the UI buttons are rendered in GL and when clicked the events are handled by SDL. The mouse data is passed through to the Python routines. Everything looks to be in order there. Perhaps my SDL is messed?

I read elsewhere in this forum of someone in a previous version also experiencing clicking problems and it was sue to the color depth or their display. I cannot determine the actual color depth of my machine but I think it is 24 bit. In KDE info window under X server it says: "Depth(7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32". I can only assume the first one is the default. The colors look great and it does not look like 16 bit color.

My system:
Kubuntu v9.10
Python v2.6.4
libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.2
libSDL_image-1.2.so.0.1.6
MH 1.0 alpha 5

I have tried the DEB file for alpha 5, the nightly DEB file and the TBZ2 version (which I am using now). I have not had success compiling it (haven't taken the time yet).

Any thoughts? Wanna see my annotated screen shot? Need more info? Just let me know how I can help.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this project! It is fantastic to see.

Best regards,
Keith
(Olympia, WA, USA)
keith03

Re: Perplexing button problem with v1.0 alpha 5

Postby mflerackers » Sat May 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Probably what you mean is that buttons work inside the button as well as a bit outside the button? This is because we don't use alpha testing when rendering the picking regions. If you enable

//glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);
//glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER, 0.0f);

in glmodule.c, this behavior probably goes away.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby keith03 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:11 pm

mflerackers wrote:Probably what you mean is that buttons work inside the button as well as a bit outside the button?

I wish it were like that but it is not. The buttons/sliders are not clickable where they are displayed. I have discovered where many of the buttons *are* clickable. All in all, the UI looks okay. I can't figure out what could be wrong here with this issue.

I will attach an image of where I have discovered the clickable regions to be. There are more button regions than what I show here but it will give a good idea of the problem I speak of.

makehuman_problem.png

makehuman_details_problem.png

Thank you for your time in helping me determine what could be happening here.

Regards
Keith
keith03

Postby keith03 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Hello all,

Just an update here. I found the problem I was having and found also a work around. I can now use MH as it is intended.

The problem with my system is something to do with the Intel DRI driver(s). i have not solved this yet but I will continue to look for a solution.

My workaround was to use the following on the command line to start MH

Code: Select all
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 makehuman

Now MH runs okay but is very slow! It's okay for me right now. I will try to update this thread if/when I find a proper solution.

Thank you to all those who took time in helping me out.

Regards,
Keith
keith03

Postby Manuel » Mon May 31, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks to share the fixes!
Manuel

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests