NO EXE file for MH

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

NO EXE file for MH

Postby bray42 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:42 am

HI

I downloaded MH for Win. I unzipped it.
There is NO EXE file. There is one; makehuman.exe.manifest and that's it. What am I supposed to do now? LOL

Thanks for any suggestions.
Lost in the E-World
bray42

Re: NO EXE file for MH

Postby duststorm » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:22 am

bray42 wrote:I downloaded MH for Win.

What version, from what link?

I downloaded a few windows zips, both nightly builds and release packages, just to check, and all of them had a makehuman.exe file inside.
Perhaps your download got interrupted? The file should be around 170-180MB, if it's much smaller, then probably something went wrong with the download.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby bray42 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:26 am

http://www.makehuman.org/content/downlo ... n_102.html

First Windows download link. 180 mb ok. BUT no exe.

I will try again and let you know.
bray42

Postby duststorm » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:57 am

Just downloaded it again to verify. There is most definitely a makehuman.exe file in that zip.
The file should be 181MB large.

If the .exe file magically disappears on your computer, then I think some kind of virus scanner is probably at fault. Some virus scanners falsely accuse software that they don't know of being malicious. But rather than just silently deleting the file, a proper virus scanner should at least warn the user that it has taken such action.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby bray42 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi again

well I redownloaded it. Unzipped it......(after checking inside before unpacking it and the exe was there inside) ....BUT once unzipped...nada.
I was on Win 7 hp (Video animation) laptop using winzip.

I got on my other laptop (audio studio), did the same and wala, all was good and it installed nicely. WIn 8 Pro w/winzip

I will work on the problem...no worries here....

VERY NICE work guys! THANK YOU FOR all of your hard work and making this program free and the assistance here in the forums.!!!!

I can really use this program.....

Thanks again for all
bray42

Postby WarpZone » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:25 am

bray42 wrote:Hi again

well I redownloaded it. Unzipped it......(after checking inside before unpacking it and the exe was there inside) ....BUT once unzipped...nada.
I was on Win 7 hp (Video animation) laptop using winzip.

I got on my other laptop (audio studio), did the same and wala, all was good and it installed nicely. WIn 8 Pro w/winzip

I will work on the problem...no worries here....

VERY NICE work guys! THANK YOU FOR all of your hard work and making this program free and the assistance here in the forums.!!!!

I can really use this program.....

Thanks again for all

Same problem, here. makehuman-community-1.2.0-alpha2-win32. Windows 7 Home.

Ironically, it has no trouble extracting uninstall.exe, but makehuman.exe is nowhere to be seen in the unzipped directory.

How about you get rid of the installer and just let us unzip the files and put them where we want them by hand, the way every previous version of makehuman did?
WarpZone

Postby joepal » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:28 am

This sounds like your antivirus is putting the makehuman installation binary in quarantine, which is a random false positive. Check your antivirus and try again.

If you want access to individual files rather than running a compiled binary, you can run from source, see http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _source%3F
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby RobBaer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:44 pm

WarpZone wrote:
bray42 wrote:
Same problem, here. makehuman-community-1.2.0-alpha2-win32. Windows 7 Home.

Ironically, it has no trouble extracting uninstall.exe, but makehuman.exe is nowhere to be seen in the unzipped directory.

How about you get rid of the installer and just let us unzip the files and put them where we want them by hand, the way every previous version of makehuman did?

You will find the makehuman (amazingly enough ;) ) in the start menu, so if you are in the habit of using a desktop shortcut, you won't be handed one or have a .exe to make one from The developer who makes our current build software seems not to believe in desktop shortcuts.

The shortcut to start MH is now in the Windows start menu. This shortcut is located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs if you "install for everyone" [and in your [hidden] appData folder if you install "just me"). Looking at the shortcut you can find that there is not a true .exe. Rather, the installer starts the "built-n python which starts the mhstartwrapper.py script.

Something along the lines of:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\makehuman-community\Python\pythonw.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\makehuman-community\mhstartwrapper.py"

... dpendending on how you installed it.

If you like, you can place a similar shortcut on the desktop by copying the one located in the start menu.
RobBaer

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests