El Capitan

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Re: El Capitan

Postby punkduck » Sat May 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Weird. I even work with 10.9.5 and MH 1.1.1 is running ...

My download is from 22. March 2017. There is nothing special with MH because it is written in python. Only starter, some libraries and python itself are real binaries.

If you only open the window, the logical volume is mounted and you can see everything, when you examine the filesystem. Then try to start it from a shell or terminal. Normally like this:

Code: Select all
cd /Volumes/MakeHuman for Mac OS X/MakeHuman.app/Contents
./MakeHuman

Well at least the version I downloaded also works like this.
If you do it, did the message appear also?

There is another possibility. A year ago, I was not sure if I can install two MH versions on my system. So I cloned the application including the starter "MakeHuman" and only overwrote the py-files with the new version. Then I linked the copied starter to the desktop to have an easy method to launch the application (the launchpad itself did not work). I know, it was not the best, but it was good interim solution.

And yes I hate to update my OS ... :mrgreen:

The new version contains a few bugfixes. It is not so much difference, you are right.
punkduck

Postby raziel2001au » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:25 am

That's a very interesting error message from the perspective that it's pretty specific about wanting a system running 10.12. I wonder if I accidentally included an updated library that has a restriction on the OS version. FYI 1.1.0 was also built on 10.12, so it's not what it's being built on, but could be something that's been updated, though I normally just grab the patch-versions of libraries, not major releases.
raziel2001au

Postby uncle808us » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:34 pm

raziel2001au wrote:
Aranuvir wrote:IIRC there was a version limit, but I cant tell you the exact reason. No one of the crew really uses OS X and the package is build by a maintainer, who rarely shows up. Robs idea to try the source, is what I had recommended, too. Here is some documentation (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _on_MacOSX), though I'm not sure if it is complete. It could be possible, that you need to install 'numpy' and 'pyopengl', too. You should find help how to install those packages in the internet.

You have to give me a little more credit than that! Anyway... I have no idea, it *should* work fine.

Do we have multiple people reporting that it doesn't work on El Capitan? Given it's only one version behind the current Mac OS X, I'd be surprised if it's really not working as many people are still using that version of OS X and 1.1.1 has been out for a while now.

Unfortunately I have a ton of things I have to deal with IRL over the next few weeks, so I won't be able to assist with this. For the moment, I think we need to confirm if it's an isolated case or a common occurence.

Yes multiple people I have two macs running El Capitan 10.11.6 and neither one will run MH 1.1.1. I get a notice that it news a newer OSX.
OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6
uncle808us

Postby RobBaer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:37 pm

The mac builder has just been updated if one of the Mac users experiencing this problem is interested in building from scratch to see if it solves this issue. https://bitbucket.org/MakeHuman/makehum ... ommits/all

Changes to the Tuxfamily MacOS binary download should likely follow in due course.
RobBaer

Postby arkady » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 pm

For what it's worth, as of Dec. 4, 2017, MakeHuman 1.1.1 still won't run under OSX 10.11.6. Error message is exactly the same as previous posters have indicated.

So why don't I just update my OS to 10.12, you may ask? Because my Mac is one that Apple has decreed may not be upgraded any further than 10.11.6. I will eventually be getting an Ubuntu machine to replace it, but that won't be for a few months yet. In the meantime, I still have no way to run MakeHuman 1.1.1. And I'm not in a position to try building MakeHuman on this machine.

>Changes to the Tuxfamily MacOS binary download should likely follow in due course.

Is it safe to assume that this hasn't happened, and users of OSX 10.11 will have to wait until MakeHuman 1.1.2?
arkady

Postby RobBaer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:42 am

Unfortunately the only mac I have access to is running high sierra, and none of the devs is running El Capitan that I know of, so fixing this will be difficult. What I don't know for sure is whether this problem is true of ALL older macs or just those running certain version(s) of some dependency.

If there is an El capitan user who is successfully running MH 1.1.1, perhaps they could share here anything special they did.
RobBaer

Postby uncle808us » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:46 pm

I too hope this can be fixed also. OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6
OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6
uncle808us

Postby r189 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 pm

As of April 2018 version 1.1.1 still not working on El Capitain :( :( :( :(
r189

Postby RobBaer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Have you tried running it from source yet? You want the default version. You need python 2.7 installed along with compatible numpy and pyopengl. The built in Mac version may not do it. Homebrew might make things easier https://docs.brew.sh/Homebrew-and-Python

Alternatively, are we lucky enough that the program gets far enough to create a makehuman-debug.txt or makehuman-error.txt or makehuman.log ?

These will be in [/users/%USERNAME%/Documents/MakeHuman/v1] where %USERNAME% is your username. If there is log information it might give us more detail on what's wrong, but without a failing machine to experience this, or someone to provide detail on what's going wrong, it is tough to fix or suggest workarounds.
RobBaer

Postby besworks » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:07 am

Hello all, I just learned about MakeHuman today and ran into this issue when trying to run it. I wanted to report that launching the version 1.1.1 executable at /Applications/MakeHuman.app/Contents/MacOS/MakeHuman through a terminal (as suggested by @punkduck) does in fact work on El Capitan even if the icon says otherwise.

At first I thought that I could fix this problem with a quick edit to the LSMinimumSystemVersion key in the Info.plist file but it didn't help.

raziel2001au wrote:That's a very interesting error message from the perspective that it's pretty specific about wanting a system running 10.12. I wonder if I accidentally included an updated library that has a restriction on the OS version. FYI 1.1.0 was also built on 10.12, so it's not what it's being built on, but could be something that's been updated, though I normally just grab the patch-versions of libraries, not major releases.

Apparently this is an issue that others have experienced when building with py2app (see: https://bitbucket.org/ronaldoussoren/py2app/issues/240/problem-about-app-file-compiled-with) and the consensus over there seems to be that the only solution is to build on a system running an older version of MacOS. However, the fact that MakeHuman can be run from a terminal with no immediately apparent issues suggests otherwise. Also this question on stackoverflow indicates that building for older target systems should be possible. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44689913/macos-requiring-different-os-version-vs-info-plist.

RobBaer wrote:The mac builder has just been updated if one of the Mac users experiencing this problem is interested in building from scratch to see if it solves this issue.

I did some digging and I think I've narrowed the issue down to a single line of code that needs to be changed but this would have to be built on a more up-to-date system to test if it actually works.

I'm fine using the terminal workaround, but for other's sake hopefully this info helps lead to a proper fix.
besworks

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests