Project Devonia: ‘Manticore’ – Adventure Game [WIP] [DEMO]

For discussions related to game development, and to game development software such as Unity, Unreal Engine, Godot and so on.

Re: Project Devonia: ‘Manticore’ – Adventure Game [WIP]

Postby tomcat » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:09 pm

Maybe you could use this: Point and Click Template for Godot 4.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby PayItForward » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:18 pm

Hey Tomcat, thanks so much for all your help! AGS has indeed some limits, (case in point - lack of support for Cyrillic), which makes me amongs other things seriously consider using a different engine albeit not for PD:M. The game's just too far developed now. Most issues I still have, have more to do with design, rigging and similar.
In fact, I first also considered a 3D adventure and there was a template for that, too, possibly it even was for Godot. But my heart really beats for 2D so here we are 8-)

In Russia in general, there is a very "light" attitude to copyright

:D I figured as much, however, I would still like to make this game entirely from free resources. So far I have managed to do this despite that being somewhat inconvenient at times.
In general AGS (as of v3.4) lacks support for Russian letters so the question right now is rather to make this work at all. It isn't impossible but for example there's not even unicode support in the editor. I was thinking of making my own font with Cyrillic AND Latin letters. Problem here is that the Cyrillic letters wouldn't correspond to keyboard strokes, which isn't too bad in a point'n'click game but it would be a total mess in the translation file (i.e. if you write 'moloko' with your Russian keyboard it will give out completely different letters in-game).

Right now I'm somewhat stuck on a different issue. I have trouble making the Makehuman ACCAD and CMU rigs work with the BVH animation data I use. The MH ACCAD rig works good with the ACCAD female BVH's but not for the male BVH's. in the latter case the sceleton is heavily contorsioned and a similar problem exists with all CMU BVH's. More specifically the shoulder/upper arm bones and the head/neck bones are distorted (see image).
Maybe it's an issue with the T-pose, I don't know ...
I will have to see how I solve this but since only some bones are concerned and I need only a few frames each time, I might just make new keyframes myself.

The following gif was made with the MH ACCAD rig and (female) ACCAD bvh's. Unfortunately I'm unable to achieve this with the other rigs :cry:

Greetings!
twitter.com/ChristophCrane_ (Indie author & game developer)
PayItForward

Postby tomcat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:31 pm

PayItForward wrote:I figured as much

You have no idea how much. The paper money of the Russian Federation(!!) uses an unlicensed font.

"Do not ask a woman about her age, a man about his salary, a Russian — if he has licensed software." (с)

However, messing with Russians in general is fraught with crime. Even for painfully law-abiding Germans.

Right now I'm somewhat stuck on a different issue. I have trouble making the Makehuman ACCAD and CMU rigs work with the BVH animation data I use. The MH ACCAD rig works good with the ACCAD female BVH's but not for the male BVH's. in the latter case the sceleton is heavily contorsioned and a similar problem exists with all CMU BVH's. More specifically the shoulder/upper arm bones and the head/neck bones are distorted (see image).

Oh, this is an ocean of pain. The greatest tragedy is that Retarget BVH is no longer developed or supported, and my qualifications don't allow me to fix it. Huge thanks to punkduck, for getting the plugin to work in Blender 2.93. But even now it's a path of torment and suffering. Blender 2.93 -> Blender 3.4 -> Godot 4.

I have animation work planned for the near future.
tomcat

Postby PayItForward » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:36 pm

Oh, this is an ocean of pain

Ah man, don't get me started on this. Been there, done that. Rigging is one of these things where 10% of work take 90% time. But I'm still glad that there IS a way! I have already re-installed 2.93 yesterday. Now I need to find all the plugins again. I'll report what happens.
PayItForward

Postby PayItForward » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:34 pm

I had some computer-issues here so this took a little longer but finally I have made the game trailer I teased a while ago.
Enjoy, and find out what my avatar is about! :idea:

Click here to watch the game trailer on youtube.
Last edited by PayItForward on Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PayItForward

Postby tomcat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:21 pm

PayItForward wrote:Click here to watch the game trailer on youtube.

This video isn't available anymore
:(
tomcat

Postby PayItForward » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:02 pm

tomcat wrote:
PayItForward wrote:Click here to watch the game trailer on youtube.

This video isn't available anymore
:(

Ahh, thank you so much for telling me, TC! That was the link from the first upload that failed when my laptop crashed. :|
Updated, and here's the correct one.
https://youtu.be/nfPXKAPBDac
PayItForward

Postby tomcat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:05 pm

PayItForward wrote:Updated, and here's the correct one.

Very nice music and graphics. The credits on 2/3 of the video are a bit puzzling.

…but, what does this have to do with Tomsk?
tomcat

Postby PayItForward » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:34 pm

Very nice music and graphics. The credits on 2/3 of the video are a bit puzzling.

Thank you
:D that would be about the sound credits? With the view into the mess hall. I think it fits the mood of the game and books quite well.

…but, what does this have to do with Tomsk?

Oh that. It's not my youtube account. A friend helps me with tech and he said we need a publishing label and he came up with that. I'ts a city. Sounds nice to me. I believe he has a Russian or Latvian parent or something. Don't ask me.
PayItForward

Postby tomcat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:11 pm

PayItForward wrote:I'ts a city. Sounds nice to me. I believe he has a Russian or Latvian parent or something.

Tomsk is a purely Russian city in Siberia. If there were any Latvians there, it was only in political exile (concentration camp). That's why I was surprised and asked.
tomcat

PreviousNext

Return to Game development