Who is using Make Human to make games?

For discussions related to game development, and to game development software such as Unity, Unreal Engine, Godot and so on.

Re: Who is using Make Human to make games?

Postby Brandy Farfan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:06 am

There are a handful of people on the Unity Forum, that are using makehuman for some of their game characters. I find that really cool.
Brandy Farfan

Postby tomcat » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:06 am

Greetings!

popleosademms wrote:I want to make a game to help people learn the sport of cutting. This is done with horses and cattle.

Since I'm going to include livestock care in my project, I've given this question some thought. I also attended lectures on creating games. I will answer it point by point from what I understood:

my first question on the way to seeing if Unity would be a good development environment for my game.

It doesn't matter what engine is used. You can make a game on almost any engine, which will be understandable and convenient. "Bad architecture is not a sentence, good architecture is not a guarantee of success." (с)

Can I get horses and cattle into this game?

The big problem in animal implementation is that there are very few good models and animations of their movements. You have to do everything yourself by hand. There is no animal generator (analog of the humanoid character generator).

Can I have a viewpoint that is above the cattle, at the height of a rider on horseback?

As far as I understand, in any engine you can place the camera arbitrarily.

Horse animation in games.

Case in point. When I was brushing a horse (fighting horse, Donchak), it stepped on my foot. I was wearing reinforced mountain boots and didn't react to it. So the brute bent his head to see if his hoof was really on my foot!
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby DavidRover » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:12 pm

Hooray for the necropost as my first real post on this forum! :)

Anyway, I use makehuman models with Unity for game development. With the correct armature, it also works with mixamo to easily animate the models as well. I use this one:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... butts.html

and it works beautifully alongside mixamo. I then use the Dynamic Bone add-on from the Unity Store (it's like $20, so it's pretty cheap, which makes a massive difference to a no-budget dev like me) to give the appropriate bounce to the jiggly bits. The only downside to that rig is that it lacks the detailed bones of the default rig, and the default rig not only lacks the butt bones but is also incompatible with mixamo. My workaround is to only use the default rig for realtime cutscenes with a facial blend tree that doesn't require complex body animation.

Also, there is an amazing target that increases the visual appeal of all of my characters by over 9000% (scientifically tested!):

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/targe ... anced.html

That one target alone, set to around 50%, dramatically increases the beauty of any adult mesh, especially female ones. Gotta go a bit on the lower side for younger-looking characters or else they deform all to hell, but wow what a difference it makes for the ladies. I often just use that target, passing over all other add-on targets, to make amazing-looking characters.

I don't typically do mobile dev, but if I did, I would use some of the low-poly topologies for action games. In testing, I have found that the default topology works just fine on mobile if you're keeping your character count to 2 or less and don't need high performance, such as a visual novel or a low-demand realtime cutscene. Obviously results will vary :) but these are the results of the testing I've personally done.
DavidRover

Postby JerzyGameboy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:29 pm

I am working on a few visual novels and plan to use MakeHuman for the characters in the game.
JerzyGameboy

Postby JALdMIC » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:38 pm

I use Makehuman(mpfb) for create the player of my mod Assets Warehouse.
JALdMIC

Project Devonia: ‘Manticore’ – Adventure Game [WIP]

Postby PayItForward » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:30 pm

I'm using Makehuman as a first step to create characters for my upcoming point'n'click adventure game Project Devonia: 'Manticore'. I import the models into Blender where I modify them further. I know there's a Blender plugin featuring the next iteration of the old Manuel Bastioni lab but I very much prefer to do the basic work in MH. Blender's user interface is already too cluttered as it is and response time on weak computers (as mine is) is abysmal.

There's a development thread for my game on the AGS game engine editor forums where I go more into detail but I just made a basic thread on here, too, which will likely be a bit more specific as regards character modeling and rigging.

P.S. As a side note I already used MH in my work pipeline to create covers for my books. This software has been really helpful so far to me and everybody who made assets, however small, has done a great job.

Obviously there's not only MH involved here. In fact, just as much work comes afterwards but making the basic character and having the rig mostly in place is pretty neat.
twitter.com/ChristophCrane_ (Indie author & game developer)
PayItForward

Postby tomcat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:07 pm

I found another project that uses MakeHuman for character creation — Project Regina (Godot 4).

https://i.imgur.com/RMsbXzw.mp4
tomcat

Postby LeonidasBishop » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:30 pm

Absolutely, it's awesome to see the Unity community using tools like MakeHuman for character creation! It adds a unique touch to games. By the way, if you're into exploring new game-related stuff, you might want to check out some apps that pay you to play games. There's a cool article about it that I came across recently.
Last edited by LeonidasBishop on Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeonidasBishop

Postby tomcat » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:18 pm

LeonidasBishop wrote:the Unity community

Unity is no longer relevant. Game developers are migrating to Unreal and Godot.
tomcat

Postby DouKing » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:56 pm

Recently I was recommended a great game Battle Mania. An interesting plot and exciting mechanics make this game so incredible. I recommend you try it for free and without registration
DouKing

Previous

Return to Game development