How do I export skin material as a texture?

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

How do I export skin material as a texture?

Postby Digital_Daredevil » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:15 am

Hello!

I am trying to export a human model from MPFB2 to FBX. However, the skin material is procedurally generated and I cannot export it as a texture. How can I turn the skin material into a texture in order to export all the necessary textures to FBX?

The Blender's version is 3.4.1, MPFB2 is 2.0.3.
Digital_Daredevil

Re: How do I export skin material as a texture?

Postby joepal » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:24 pm

There are two answers to this.

The easiest way is to not use the procedural skin. Instead, you can use a standard diffuse texture setup. In "apply assets" -> "library settings" -> "skin" there is a dropdown where you can select "standard material" before loading a skin. This material will not contain any procedural effects, and should be easier to export to FBX.

The more involved approach is baking the procedural skin to a diffuse texture and a normal map and then using these to create a non-procedural skin. This is a complex subject though. If you search for "blender baking normal map" and "blender baking diffuse texture" on youtube, there might be some hints.

I'd suggest starting with the first approch and see if it's good enough for your needs.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Digital_Daredevil » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:50 pm

joepal wrote:Instead, you can use a standard diffuse texture setup. In "apply assets" -> "library settings" -> "skin" there is a dropdown where you can select "standard material" before loading a skin. This material will not contain any procedural effects, and should be easier to export to FBX.

Thank you, it works.

Same question about the eyes. I mean, I can manually copy one of the eyes textures directly from MH's files, because the UVs are the same, and that's not a hard work. But is there a way to export the eyes' texture directly from blender?
Digital_Daredevil

Postby joepal » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:31 pm

There's a checkbox under library settings for selecting whether to use procedural eyes. If unchecked, eyes will get the standard material too.

Now that I test this, I realize that there's then no obvious way to change the eye color. But at least you get the correct node setup and brown eyes loaded.

I added this as a bug: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/mpfb2/issues/91

As a workaround, switch file in the diffuse texture node if you want a different texture.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Digital_Daredevil » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:54 pm

Thank you so much!
Digital_Daredevil

Return to Blender and MPFB