How to import community assets in MPFB2

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

How to import community assets in MPFB2

Postby ashdom » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:30 pm

Hello,

I’ve installed MPFB nightly from 6th January, I’m trying to import some nice community assets.

I tried to put the files from an asset in a directory, which I compress as a zip file.

The imported it in MPFB the same way as for an official asset pack, but it doesn’t work.

Which process should I follow?
ashdom

Re: How to import community assets in MPFB2

Postby jwc » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:07 am

I believe joepal has some logic "behind the curtain" to handle the community asset zip files.
If you have MakeHuman installed, you can use the "Community" tab to select and install your desired assets.
MPFB should check the MakeHuman asset directory when it initializes.

If you only have Blender with the MPFB plugin, the assets need to be put in the correct directory.
From joepal:
In MPFB, you have a "system and resources" -> "directories" panel.
This contains a button called "user files". Click this to open a file window.
In the opened directory you will find a folder "data"

With MacOS the directory should be:
'Macintosh HD/Users/{user name}/Library/Application Support/Blender/{3.3 or used Blender version}/mpfb/data'

This data file contains folders for clothes, hair, ... and your assets should be placed appropriately (unzipped) in a subfolder.
Note that MPFB is still under heavy development, so working directly with asset directories may change.
jwc

Postby joepal » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:23 am

There is nothing magic with the asset pack zip files. They're just asset directories zipped including the asset type parent dir, such so that a "mypack" asset pack with a "myclothing" clothes asset has a structure like

Code: Select all
clothes/
  myclothing/
    myclothing.mhclo
    myclothing.obj

All the install pack button does is to unzip the file in the user data directory.

So as jwc says, you can simply copy or download assets into that same structure, and MPFB will discover them when blender has been restarted.

If you have MH installed, you can also point out the MH user data directory implicitly or explicitly in the MPFB preferences in blender's preferences panel,.

But as this is bound to be a recurring question, I should really write some kind of tutorial for this.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby ashdom » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:34 pm

thanks @jwc et @joepal for the replies.

it's a bit of a classic support request curse: shortly after writing this message, I saw my mistakes in zip package generation and I was also able to link makehuman to MPMB. I guess thinking about the wording makes one think more intensely about their own mistakes.

About potential new tutorials about MPFB, not only on this topic, it would be really great, because the existing ones are very good. I also note that the video tutorials, especially the latest ones, are among the clearest and most educational I've seen.
Watching new ones would be a pleasure,
ashdom

Postby joepal » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:29 am

ashdom wrote:I also note that the video tutorials, especially the latest ones, are among the clearest and most educational I've seen. Watching new ones would be a pleasure,

Thanks. I guess my thirteen years as a lecturer at the university weren't entirely wasted then :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby delwynedna » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:41 am

If you encounter issues, such as missing textures or errorsincredibox you may need to adjust the asset or seek assistance from the asset's creator or the MakeHuman community.
delwynedna

Return to Blender and MPFB