Posing a character from Make Human to Blender

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Posing a character from Make Human to Blender

Postby johnsprofera » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:08 pm

Hello I am trying to create a character from Make Human and transporting this character with armature to Blender so that I can pose the character.. I had watched a video on this subject (blender how to rest default character pose by Dale the artist) on YouTube and in the video the user had a character without clothes showed the steps to pose but his character that he used had no clothes on, and I had followed this method except the clothes went back to the original position from make human but the skin mesh and hair had remained the way I post them except for the clothes. I'm sure the developers of make human had intended for the whole character to be posed because they created the armature also I am important it in collada(dae) if I send the character over from make human without clothes there is no problem but of course I want him or her to have clothes so that I can import these characters into a program called SketchUp. can anyone help me figure out how to pose the character with clothes so that I may import them¿ Also to note.. I am a rookie. Thanks John
johnsprofera

Re: Posing a character from Make Human to Blender

Postby tomcat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:14 am

johnsprofera wrote:…but of course I want him or her to have clothes so that I can import these characters into a program called SketchUp.

Just create a model with clothes in MH and pose them in Blender. The clothes will follow the body. Here's an example.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby johnsprofera » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:42 am

I did mention that I was a rookie.. I'm sorry I didn't understand your method and look like it was for animation?
johnsprofera

Postby tomcat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:16 am

johnsprofera wrote:I'm sorry I didn't understand your method<…>

If there is something unclear in tutorial, tell me what exactly and I will make corrections, I will try to explain unclear part in more details.

<…>and look like it was for animation?

Yep. But you can just give the model the right pose instead of animation. The main thing is in the transfer from MH model with clothes to Blender.
tomcat

Postby johnsprofera » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:31 am

Thank you for helping me. I don't know if you have access to YouTube but here's the tutorial that I was following which starts off assuming there's a character already in blender If you could somehow watch this at around 1:30 ( https://youtu.be/WyUfaGqjAfk) what I had done was created a character in Make Human imported into blender. And went from there if you could watch this and tell me if this is wrong. It worked for me except for the clothes. Thanks John
johnsprofera

Postby tomcat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:17 pm

johnsprofera wrote:If you could somehow watch this at around 1:30 ( https://youtu.be/WyUfaGqjAfk) what I had done was created a character in Make Human imported into blender.

I can explain and correct my tutorial. But I can't do that with someone else's, unfortunately.

It's hard for me to understand tutorials on YouTube — I don't know English well. But as far as I understand, it shows how to put clothes on the character (or rather, prepare the character for it). With MH there is no need to do this. The character is dressed directly in MH and imported into Blender already dressed. And there, the dressed character can be given any pose.
tomcat

Postby johnsprofera » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:41 pm

I created a character in Make Human with clothes, shoes, hair than after I finished I exported it into a folder opened Blender imported to pose the figure this is the part that's rather complicated once I was finished I thought I was I exported it to another folder and opened it in Sketchup the eyeballs, hair, clothes were all apart not put together. If I do this process without the clothes from make human into blender then there's no problem it shows up the way I posed him with no problem except he has no clothes on. The problem seems to be with the clothes they don't seem to have the same texture as the skin. I made several agonizing attempts to figure this out. So I know there are some steps I'm missing I just need someone to show me in a simple tutorial what I'm doing wrong. If I could get someone to post the steps that they have done that would be helpful The problem is most folks probably leave their character inside a blender I don't know. Thanks John
johnsprofera

Postby tomcat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:39 pm

johnsprofera wrote:<…>and opened it in Sketchup the eyeballs, hair, clothes were all apart not put together.
So the problem is that the dressed model falls apart in Sketchup? And in Blender, that model with clothes on looks normal? Then I guess it's a Sketchup problem. I haven't worked with it and unfortunately can't give you any advice. :( You can try to export to different formats if it understands them and see what kind of result would be acceptable.
tomcat

Postby johnsprofera » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Let's try it this way once I import the model into blender and pose him with clothes on hair and everything what steps are required to export the character clothed, poised, is it just a matter of saving it save as, what would you do to export the finish character from blender poise surely there are steps that need to be taken. If I just bring the model from make human into blender and not pose the character it comes through all right. Does this make sense? John
johnsprofera

Postby tomcat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:28 pm

johnsprofera wrote: what would you do to export the finish character from blender poise surely there are steps that need to be taken.

Sometimes you need to adjust the export for some specific cases. But this should be reflected in the documentation of the target resource (in this case Sketchup).

If I just bring the model from make human into blender and not pose the character it comes through all right. Does this make sense?

You could try it to see at what point the model falls apart. But I don't know how that can help.

I noticed one feature, but I don't know if it matters in your case… from MH to Blender the model can be transferred in two ways:
  1. Socket
  2. MHX2
The result is different. You can try both ways, although I don't promise that this is the solution to the problem.
tomcat

Return to Blender and MPFB