helper geometry for Eyes to follow new MorphTarget

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

helper geometry for Eyes to follow new MorphTarget

Postby etienne.voice » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:07 pm

First up, thank you to all involved in MakeHuman and the effort you put into maintaining and improving it constantly. Amazing.

I have an issue that is proving tough to overcome and hoping for some guidance, please.

I created Morph Target in MFPB for a new head that I am relatively happy with.
Screenshot from 2022-10-07 13-35-55.png

I have edited helper geometry so that Eye left and right are in correct right place for the new head. I plan to do same for Eyelashes and eyebrow.
Screenshot from 2022-10-07 13-39-13.png

But when I import default character with MFPB, apply my custom target the imported eyes are placed for default character, they do not move as I apply other sliders.
Screenshot from 2022-10-07 13-38-04.png

I am guessing I need to modify the helper geometry in order for the eyes to follow, but I am unaware how to achieve this.
Thanks for reading
Attachments
FemaleTest8PrimaryTarget+EyesForForumQuery.blend
(5.54 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
etienne.voice

Re: helper geometry for Eyes to follow new MorphTarget

Postby joepal » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:10 pm

Works for me when using your blend to create a target:

target_helper.png

Here I have adjusted both the weight and height targets after having applied your target.

What I did was:

- Rename your shape key to "PrimaryTarget". This is possibly superfluous, but this was required earlier.
- Use latest build of MPFB2 -> create assets -> maketarget -> save target
- Load target on new default character
- Adjust other sliders
- Click the "refit assets to basemesh" button on the modeling panel.

As I don't see the last step mentioned anywhere, I'm guessing this is what makes the difference. Assets (eyes, clothes, proxies...) will not auto-adjust when you drag a modeling slider, for performance reasons. Once you are happy with the modeling, you can click the "refit" button to adjust assets to the new body shape.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby etienne.voice » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:51 am

Brilliant to get such a detailed response and 'Refit assets to basemesh' was not something I'd tried. Thank you

When I reproduce your steps, I get this error: ' There is not enough info to refit this asset, at least asset source and object type is needed'
Screenshot from 2022-10-08 09-40-14.png

For the step you describe as: 'Load target on new default character'
I am opening standalone makehuman.py (1.2.0) and then in MPFB selecting 'New Human / From MakeHuman / Import human'

Quick postscript:
Same Custom target loads perfectly into standalone makehuman.py (1.2.0) AND repositions the eyes correctly (in line with helpers)
- so the issue is with my import NewHuman settings in MPFB?

Screenshot from 2022-10-08 11-06-18.png
Attachments
Reproduce stepsForumQuery.blend
(5.37 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
etienne.voice

Postby joepal » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:47 pm

There might be problems with modeling/refitting characters imported via the online from makehuman functionality. Its a bit technical, but as a quick summary: what you get when importing via the online functionality are baked meshes with all targets applied. Possibly there should be a better error message for this.

As a workaround, if you save the character in MakeHuman, you can then import it via MHM instead. Then modeling should work for the imported model.

This is written out of my head and I might remember wrong. It was a while since I last looked at the online import functionality and it's possible I actually fixed this and something else is wrong. But if you check with the MHM approach and it works, maybe this would be ok for now? Otherwise I'll probably be able to give a better answer in the weekend-
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Blender and MPFB